0-60 times

#1stangFAN

Mar 30, 2009
So i have my 4.10's and i intalled my c&l intake with tunes from bamachips last night so me and a friend decided to time some 0-60's. Now give me a break that im new to my GT but my fastest time was 5.77 but even though i have an auto it should be lower right? It was suprisingly disappointing because i was looking at some stats online and i should be running 5.3 stock. It got me really frustrated but is this just because of my driving skill or is this somewhat accurate? But at the same time it put a smile on my face to burnout in 3 gears:D.

heres the website i got the stock time from.2005 Mustang | The Essential Guide To Muscle Cars

• Sponsors (?)

Most magazines use a 1' rollout, meaning they don't start timing until after the car has traveled 1' which could make a difference of a couple tenths. They probably use a dedicated test track which probably has pretty good grip as well.

Traction is a huge variable. If you're spinning in the first three gears, that's wasted acceleration.

With drag radials mounted the last day I was at our local track, my supercharged 07 GT automatic ran 0-60 mph in 3.7 seconds (and 0-100 mph in 9.9 seconds). If I didn't have the drag radials on, it would be a lot worse from all the tire spin. Having lots of power is useless without the traction to harness it all.

street racing.... 0-60 times you should use manual.. but when u are doing 1/4 mile times u are better with auto

Just curious but why is that because if you have an auto with a good tune dont you accelerate better because when your transmission shifts it goes right back into the power band almost perfectly while with a manual there is chance for more error? or am i mistaken?

Most magazines use a 1' rollout, meaning they don't start timing until after the car has traveled 1' which could make a difference of a couple tenths. They probably use a dedicated test track which probably has pretty good grip as well.

and thanks when i get the chance ill try this, any other tips?

Just curious but why is that because if you have an auto with a good tune dont you accelerate better because when your transmission shifts it goes right back into the power band almost perfectly while with a manual there is chance for more error? or am i mistaken?

1- acceleration
2- perfet shifting(depends on the driver)
3-Lunch can be much higher

My 0-60 used to be 5.5 when i was 100% stock

how can you get the best launch with an automatic? because all i was trying to do was hold the brake and rev my engine as high as i could without spinning tires and let go of the brake

how can you get the best launch with an automatic? because all i was trying to do was hold the brake and rev my engine as high as i could without spinning tires and let go of the brake

when i used to have my rx8 i used to lunch it about 3k same with the mustang(2.5k) but the rx8 used to be automatic and got the racing pedal next to the stearing wheel, so u can control the car as manual without the clutch.. anyways i used to lunched it in neutral.. then quicklest i could put it in M(racing mode)

i dont know if the auto mustang has the electronic brake the one that doesnt let u pass the 2k rpm.. but if it doesnt u should just press the break and lunch it

You mean a torque converter? It's also launch, not lunch, lol.

0-60 times aren't a good measurement for anything, IMO. Every magazine does it different. I've seen 05+ cars range from 4.9 to 5.5. Track times are the best measurement of straight line acceleration.

Many variables affect acceleration times, like traction(burning rubber in 3 gears is not helping your times as previously mentioned), altitude(high elevation slows accel.), ambient temperature(hot air slows accel.), relative humidity(juicy air slows accel.), manufacturing and assembly tolerances(a factory freak accelerates faster), etc.
If you performed the 5.77 sec. test during the heat of the day with a fully heatsoaked engine, then you may be able to decrease it by allowing the engine to completely cool down, disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes and reconnecting it to clear the PCM's adaptive learning data, and doing a 0-60 test with the engine only partially warmed up either in the early morning or at night when the ambient temp is cooler.

ive got an 05 auto with a custom tune,underdrive pullies,4.10 gears, CAI,exhaust, and steeda motion charge plates....and my local track i recorded a 4.6 second 0-60 time

wow, where do you live? what was the weather like when you tested it? how did you time it? what tune do you use (bama, brenspeed, ect, 93 octane?) ? and how do you launch since its an auto like mine and all

first off i live in north carolina it was 68 degrees when i was at the track i got a custom 93 octane tune at a local shop...at the strip they hooked my car up to some kind of accelerometer thing. all i did was hold on the brake and then floored it no real technique...the biggest thing is it needs to be a cool night or something for the best time