03-04 chrome cobra rim HELP??

stangz4life

Founding Member
Apr 8, 2002
tampa,fl
Ok i have a issue after i had my new tires put on i have had a slight leak in my driver side front tire (2 psi a day). I have had the valve stem replaced the tire reseated and balanced ..still leaking. Discount tire actually let me send the tire back and gave me another to replace it.. still leaking.Yes i brought it to see if someone can find the leak but they cant, i understand that they cant due to the fact it looses only 2 psi a day and thats with all the weight of the car on it. So i have come to the conclusion its the rim . I have decided to go ahead and bite the bullet and get a new rim. Now the problem is ford racing has discontinued the rim ...:notnice:crazy right. I know they make many replica rims my question is what one or brand from where is the best as far as looking exactly like the original ones? Please help me out i am so so paticular with my baby and i just dont want to be able to tell. Thank you in advance and sorry for the length of this.

• Sponsors (?)

I used to work at a tire shop and have delt with wheels like this.... first off try using some bead sealer on the valve stem then put it in, and go around the rim with a wire brush, some lower profile tires with hard sidewalls have a hard time seating so use bead sealer on both sides of the rim after you get it all clean with the wire brush and that should solve your problem.... if not one last thing you can try before buying a new rim would be to run a coat of bead sealant around the rim where it is welded together on the inside of the wheel. hope this helps you.

I had the tire taken off yesterday and i spent some time cleaning the rim and tire where the beading would be. Had the shop use some bead sealer around the area. Hopefully i dont jinx myself but its looking good so far. Yes the chrome seams to have some areas where it is coming off on the inside of the rim. Thats prob where it is coming from i am sure. Hopefully this does solve my issue. I will ceck it again tom. if its still the same psi ...then i think i am good. Ill let ya know.

Well i think my slow leak is fixed now . Its been a few days now and the psi is still the same. I am thinking it must have been where the chrome is flakeing off in some spots on the inside of the rim where the tire mounts. Little bit of bead sealer on the problem spots and woohoo good to go ...i hope for good (and no not tire sealer or fix a flat or green goop) Hopefully this helps someone out someday with the same issue. Thanks for the input everyone.