03/04 Cobra GT Conversion

Invictus

Jan 26, 2007
Alrighty, was hoping I could get some nice input from you tech. guys here. I have an 03 Mustang GT which the engine just failed on me which is alright because now i'm upgrading to the 04 cobra motor. I've already purchased the motor, which came with longtubes, BBK CAI, MSD ignition wiring, 90mm MAF, BBK Twin 65mm TB, and a few other nice odds and ends. The engine appears to have the full wireing harness on it however i'm stuck when it come to the computer / PCM issue. I have the GT PCM and I was told I can simply take an 03 cobra ecu and install install it into my gt computer?? I was also told I could have mine reflashed with the cobra base tune, but the motor also came with an 03/04 predator tuner so i'd rather not do that. Can I have any advice on what needs to be done here???

I've purchased the LFP heat exchanger, SPEC stage 2 clutch (For my T3650), Fidanza aluminum flywheel (8bolt crank), 255lph fuel pump, Full length UPR subframe connectors, Front / Rear eaton strut braces.

I'm in need of the heat exchanger pump, brackets, and lines / hosing.

If anyone can think of anything that I have missed to complete this swap (primary concern being the ECU issue) please don't hesitate to throw in your 0.02 and if I could find anyone who's actually done this swap and could walk me through a few things that would be awesome and i'd really appreciate it.

Thanks this has been a great site to fall back on in the past and I hope you guys can help me out!

Frank

• Sponsors (?)

03/04 Cobra GT Conversion

I've Done the swap in my 01 gt and it was fairly simple just time consuming and costly. I change just about every part on my car, It's heavily modded with upgrade parts, I also change my gas tank to 03 cobra because it has baffles inside. I still have some problems with the 03 cobra computer not controlling the fuel pumps. First i used the gt computer and modded the harness and had the gt computer tuned and the car made 450wrhp with a very conservative rich tune with about 16 degrees timing. The original tuner didn't want to tune the car and make more power because they were advised not to until i change the harness and computer over to a 03 cobra because the 03 has more sensors and the computer retards the timing if need be. I got the parts off of eBay and installed them and brought the car to the ford dealer to have the pats security system reprogrammed so the car would start. But it didn't because the pumps weren't working. I wasn't informed about some other wiring mods that had to be performed and that's the issue I'm dealing with now. I have a friend with an 03 cobra I'm going to look at his wiring and copy it. I can answer just about any question you have about the swap in detail!

Normally I would say do not bother but since you already have the GT and Cobra motor why not :shrug:

There is a lot of info here and at other sites on this topic.

As for your PCM, flash, and tune questions you are going to need a tuner for your project anyways and he will tell you the answers. Do you need referrals to reputable tuners? What city are you in?

Let me make a suggestion... Since you need PCM and trans anyways :)

Why not get a 4R70W and build it up a bit, use a PCM from a Mach1 it will be able to handle the auto trans :nice: It would be schweet at the track :drool: with a nice 2800 stall and a nice shifter :banana: