'05 Mustang: Pros & Cons

I first wanted to say I'm new to the site and have so far found it to be quite informative. I am drooling over what I know about the new pony car and am putting my ducks in a row so I can park on in my garage. I'm currently driving a '93 Grand Marquis with 219,000+ miles on it and a '91 T-Bird with 112,000 showing on the odometer. Time for a new play toy!!!!

I am in the Air Force and currently deployed. Our internet connection out here can be frustrating to say the least so it has been very difficult to find out how the '05 compares to the performace of the the other American muscle out there. I know that it is a very limited field as the only other car I can think of, in the same range, would be the new GTO. :shrug:

This would be a first Mustang for me and I also would like to know what the short falls have been on previous models. Power window motors going out, a/c problems, plastic creaking/cracking.. etc. Trying to educate myself so I don't get back to the states and walk into the dealership sounding like an ass. I figure what better way to learn then ask the drivers, am I right?

Thanks in advance for your help. :cheers:

• Sponsors (?)

Current mustangs probably ar not a good indicator. It's a totaly new vehicle. I have not owned a mustang in 10 years, the only reason I replied is to say "Thanks". Thanks for doing what you do so the rest of us can do what we do.

The old body had the cons of the handling, but I fixed it with the Mustang Mach 1 suspention for my GT, and the welded subframes connectors killed any possible squeak or rattle, I got them when my GT was only 200 miles :nice:

About the 05 GT, the only thing I don't like is that is going to be a little heavier than the old one and a little bit longer with a bigger trunk, the new 4.6l 3 valves with VCT is going to be good with its 300hp, but I'm sure by 2007 300hp is going to sound too low again, the WRX sti is going to go highier hp by 2006 I think, and few other cars with 6 cyl will be closer to 300hp :notnice: , I just hope Ford will come up with a Mach 1 with 350hp soon.

First off, thanks for your service. I have family and friends in harms way right now, and my hat is off to you and your comrades.

There really is not much known about how the new 2005 will handle. I imagine like every other mustang, it will be good, but can use improving.

If you opt for a New Edge (1999-2004) mustang, which is really just a fox body with new skin...definitely get welded in subframe connectors, then change the upper and lower control arms, shocks, struts, springs, and if you are really serious, look at a panhard bar.

As for it not having an IRS...I think those are overrated. Any modified live axle car will hang with, if not out perform an IRS car any day of the week.

Sir Hacksalot

99-04 , i just love them..sure its an old chassis but . it drives as tight as any other new car

05 dislikes: length,its rear end,tad heavier,too roomy,old style gadges

I want to thank you for protecting our country. God Bless You.

As for the new 2005 Mustang, I wouldn't know what you should look for. We will know what types of problems that the new 2005 Mustang will have once they are out on the road. I would recommend that you wait for at least one year until after they come out so Ford can fix whatever bugs, if any that the Mustang may have.

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks for the educated replies. I still am curious on how the '05 Stang compares to the GTO. Almost makes one nostalgic talking about Mustangs and GTO's of the same year comparing. Anything ya'll can let me know about the comparison, such as underbody, weight, interior, powerplant, and any other gee whiz info, let it fly. :cool: :flame:

A special thank you for the kind words regarding my service, but understand it takes more then just us over here to win this thing. You are the ones keeping things going back home, and we know that we will come home and things will be even better then we left because of you all. When you buy something at the grocery store, you are helping perserve jobs for the farmers who grew it, the company who packaged it, the truckers who drove it and the store who sold it. Americans are a chain and we are only as strong as our weakest link. Thank you for being strong!!!! God Bless You ALL!!! :flag: :hail2:

I've had 2 Mustangs in the past 4 years. The only reason I bought the second one was because I upgrade to a GT. I had only one problem with my '00 Vert. One of the lifters was shot and causing problems. Other than that I had no problems with either car. I have a friend in Quwait that should be coming back in April. :nice: