1968 DOHC 4.6 Coupe Project

Discussion in 'Classic Mustang Specific Tech' started by rusty428cj, Oct 6, 2007.

1. I took this in trade toward some labor on a 68 Shelby we painted. It had a 302 with a C4. I started out wanting to build it with the Trans Am Racing look. I had to replace the floor pans, torque boxes, trunk floors and a few other patches. I flared the fenders and quarters a little and bonded in the Shelby end caps. I went with the Rod & Custom Mustang II front suspension and have decided to run a 4.6 engine and trans out of a Mark VIII. This will be a long term project since it is my car and I have a lot of customer cars that come first. I will update as progress continues.

01-2.jpg

04-4.jpg

25-2.jpg

30-1.jpg

32-3.jpg

Attached Files:

2. subscribing, I'm sure this is going to be an awesome stang once finshed :)

3. Comin along great. Lovin the look so far! Keep it up and plz keep us updated!

4. wow. Talking about potential. keep us posted.

5. Very similar to my current project so I'll be watching.

6. Here are a couple of pictures showing how I flared the fenders and quarters. I cut the fenders leaving them attached at the bottom and than added about 1 1/2 to the flare.

16.jpg

18-2.jpg

The rears were a lot harder because you have the inner rear wheel well to flare also.

19.jpg

21-3.jpg

Attached Files:

• 16.jpg
      16.jpg
      File size:
      78.7 KB
      Views:
    • 18-2.jpg
      18-2.jpg
      File size:
      33.1 KB
      Views:
    • 19.jpg
      19.jpg
      File size:
      67.3 KB
      Views:
    • 21-3.jpg
      21-3.jpg
      File size:
      72.5 KB
      Views:
  7. I thought I would update you on my progress. Rod & Custom Motorsports front and rear suspension.

87-1.jpg

The engine compartment is ready for paint.

105.jpg

107.jpg

Mock up of rear suspension

59-1.jpg

Bottom of body epoxy primed and than sprayed with SPI bedliner

123.jpg

126-2.jpg

8. subscribing

9. this is really nice job were deed you get the SPI bedliner from ?

10. What's the rear suspension?

11. Rod & Custom Motorsports coilover rear suspension.

12. I thought I would give you an update with the Rod & Custom coil over front suspension installed.

152.jpg

154.jpg

159-2.jpg

160-1.jpg

Attached Files:

13. What are you going to do about the structural integrity of the front, now that the shock towers are no longer there?

14. Looks like it is progressing along nicely. :nice:

15. I just finished installing the Rod & Custom coil over rear suspension in my Coupe. The rear center section is not installed yet. This is the first time I have installed everything on the car with a 9" rear end.

162-1.jpg

164.jpg

166-1.jpg

169.jpg

Attached Files:

16. looking good Rusty!!!!!! i really love those flares, subtle but so bad-ass!!!!!!!

how do you like the R&C rear suspension? I've never liked the way they attach the upper links to the car, looks like would flex way too much with only the 2 or 3 bolst from center section holding everything together. i would much rather see the upper links attached to brackets welded on the diff housing. that's why i'll be using the TCP G-Bar on my Cougar, plus TCP is the only one offering a rear system for the Cougar anyway.