Fox 1984 Mustang Project In The Works

Thanks @Davedacarpainter

Btw it's a 351 nitrous car and many more colors than yours haha.

Screenshot_2016-07-06-22-04-51.png

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Also just some advise...don't cheap out on aluminum heads. Buy the best ones you can afford. You will need at least a 185cc intake runner and a 205-225 would be better(depending on your exact build parameters i.e. Size of cam,cubic inches,rear gear,trans,etc etc). AFR or Trick Flow are the go-to's.

To keep the budget down, this engine is more than likely going to be stock bore and stroke. May spring for forged rods and pistons. Probably going with a 90's roller block and a letter cam of some sort. Probably a B cam. I know where there is a set of World Windsor Sr. heads at. May grab those up as I have heard good things. With the right ring gap and tune, how much spray can a stock bottom end take?

To keep the budget down, this engine is more than likely going to be stock bore and stroke. May spring for forged rods and pistons. Probably going with a 90's roller block and a letter cam of some sort. Probably a B cam. I know where there is a set of World Windsor Sr. heads at. May grab those up as I have heard good things. With the right ring gap and tune, how much spray can a stock bottom end take?

:hail2: See this guy gets it. Looking forward to this build

**The following views are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of this forum, or anybody affiliated with it.**

Let's see....An 84 notch comes rolling into the local hang out. It has hubcaps, but definitely has a V8. The exhaust note gave that away. After the usual once over, any casual observer will notice that the car has 275 drag radials hiding behind the 15" hubcaps.
When you look inside, it all looks stock enough, yet dude is clearly hiding something.......

I say it about once every 60 days...........Sleepers fool nobody.

To build a N/A engine that could support a 200 hp hit of n2o, A nitrous car would hardly fool anybody. The additional engine modifications required to support your 500 HP goal would give notice to anybody that the engine was more than "warmed over".
Of the power adders, it does have a strong appeal as the car can be built fairly mild,... (350-400 N/A hp) and then "augmented " to your power goals with a push of the button. The stronger you build the engine the less nitrous it'll take to get there, but again come rolling up in a car that's cackling with a camshaft, and smelling like race gas, and has a C4 with a slippery converter......

Might as well turn your cards over now.

A turbo car built in the Grand National style is the one that might fool people (until they hear it during the burn out) Guys do it so frequently, it's almost commonplace to see a snail sitting somewhere in the RF corner of the engine bay. Given the same scenario, even if nobody hears the thing when it comes in, a turbo car gives itself away to anybody that has eyes and can see the A2A intercooler hanging where a radiator isn't supposed to be.

We don't even need to talk about a centri-supercharger.... The noise.

Just focus on building a nice car that's comfortable, and reliable. If you want it fast, build it fast. but again,...don't insult yourself into thinking that you're gonna fool anybody at a street race w/ a set of hubcaps

Reactions: 3 users
@madmike1157 I know that I couldn't fool anyone who knows what to look for in a car. I've just always loved a car that looks bone stock that will surprise the hell out of you. Bone stock look with a killer drivetrain. More of a preference than a Farm Truck wannabe. I just want something different than everyone else's 2.5 inch cowl hood and drag lites. Not saying there's anything wrong with the look, as all of my fox's had that style, I just wanna build it in the style of a sleeper. Keep it as original as humanly possible.

Reactions: 1 users
@madmike1157 I know that I couldn't fool anyone who knows what to look for in a car. I've just always loved a car that looks bone stock that will surprise the hell out of you. Bone stock look with a killer drivetrain. More of a preference than a Farm Truck wannabe. I just want something different than everyone else's 2.5 inch cowl hood and drag lites. Not saying there's anything wrong with the look, as all of my fox's had that style, I just wanna build it in the style of a sleeper. Keep it as original as humanly possible.
Well, there you go then. Cant argue with that.

Oh and a FYI on 351 roller block/stock bottom end,with the right tune up, 200hp nitrous plate system is easily done. Once you go above that...things start to get a little more difficult. The blocks themselves can handle around 750 flywheel horsepower(that's the safe number-people have gone up to 1000..for awhile).

A well thought out 351 can make 500hp(our slightly more)on pump gas. Add a 150-200nitrous shot and you would have enough power to run low 10's and possibly high 9's. That would take a purpose built car. Keeping it on the conservative side and you still would have a very quick/fun street/strip car.

I like your build idea. It's one thing trying to be a "sleeper" and another just to have the "look". It is always fun to exceed the expectations of your fellow "racer". It's a lot harder these days to pull a fast one over on races. I will slightly disagree with Mike on the subject. Nitrous has always been easier to "disguise" IMO. But totally agree with his points. Try to build what you described and you should be happy.