1986 2.3 specs

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not sure if the 86's had EFI or the old crappy electronic feedback carb.

At any rate, it was probably rated around 88 hp & 130-ish ft-lbs of torque.

Mileage kinda depends on what transmission and gears are behind it. My old '90 2.3L used to average 28-29 mpg on mostly open road driving, before the head cracked.

I'm not sure if the 86's had EFI or the old crappy electronic feedback carb.

At any rate, it was probably rated around 88 hp & 130-ish ft-lbs of torque.

Mileage kinda depends on what transmission and gears are behind it. My old '90 2.3L used to average 28-29 mpg on mostly open road driving, before the head cracked.

ok, thank you.

Well to my knowledge the 2.3L never came with CFI. It was either carbed, or multipoint EFI.

According to the auto parts website (not always the most reliable source I know), in '86 it had a 1 barrel carb with a throttle position sensor, and a solenoid that controlled the air/fuel mix from a reading at the O2 sensor.

Weird.

Well to my knowledge the 2.3L never came with CFI. It was either carbed, or multipoint EFI.

According to the auto parts website (not always the most reliable source I know), in '86 it had a 1 barrel carb with a throttle position sensor, and a solenoid that controlled the air/fuel mix from a reading at the O2 sensor.

Weird.

thanks for the info. i think a mass air multipoint EFI swap would be in order. if it doesnt run decent.

It would have a Carter YFA 1 barrel feedback carburetor. It has EEC IV electronics like the EFI engines, but instead of controlling injectors, it controls a feedback solenoid on the side of the carburetor. My 86 Capri had this setup and I yanked it and went with a Holley/Weber 2 barrel and Duraspark ignition. Anyway, the engine produces 88hp @ 4600rpms and 127ft-lbs of tq. @ 2600rpms. It will either have a C3 3 speed automatic with a 3.27:1 rear or 86ET 4 speed manual with a 3.08:1 rear. If you need tech help on doing any conversions or repairs on it, let me know.

It would have a Carter YFA 1 barrel feedback carburetor. It has EEC IV electronics like the EFI engines, but instead of controlling injectors, it controls a feedback solenoid on the side of the carburetor. My 86 Capri had this setup and I yanked it and went with a Holley/Weber 2 barrel and Duraspark ignition. Anyway, the engine produces 88hp @ 4600rpms and 127ft-lbs of tq. @ 2600rpms. It will either have a C3 3 speed automatic with a 3.27:1 rear or 86ET 4 speed manual with a 3.08:1 rear. If you need tech help on doing any conversions or repairs on it, let me know.

thanks for the info.:nice: