1988 Mustang Gt Running Too Hot?

Centaur

Jun 17, 2011
When i go WOT im heating up to like 220. My temp gauge says between N and O and sometimes between O and R, so i go and get a laser temp reader. I read the block and its surface is reading 215-221 pretty much regularly. So im driving with the heat on and driving like a wus. This sucks and summer is almost here and im running out of ideas. Im hoping someone else had this same problem because the other threads of people who did end with no conclusion.

• Sponsors (?)

Are you still using the oem radiator? If so its time to upgrade.
Are you still using the stock Clutch fan? If so its time to replace it with another or go electric.
Is your air deflector still mounted under the radiator? That is a very important component of the cooling system.
I see tons of engine upgrades in your SIG. Now its time to upgrade your cooling system?

Good Luck

Reactions: 1 user
His stock radiator should be more than capable of keeping up with the cooling duties of that combination.

If it's old and damaged, I would replace it. If it's dirty, I would have it flushed.

Swapping out your clutch fan for an electric is certainly a good idea, but it’s probably not going to make a lick of difference at WOT. At WOT, you’re in some serious motion I presume? That being the case, you're drawing more air into the radiator just by moving through it, than your fan is probably able to move anyway.

Air deflector...yes, make sure it's there.

Just for fun, remove your underdrive pulleys and put the stocker back on to see if the increase flow helps. I suspect it won't, since you stated your overheating issues seem to be occurring at WOT and not at idle.....but it couldn't hurt.

I'd address the radiator before anything first.

Reactions: 1 user
"His stock radiator should be more than capable of keeping up with the cooling duties of that combination." i forgot to upgrade my signature since i installed the top end kit. and my old rad was a new oem.

ok first thing i did was change the lower radiator hose. it seemed to be collapsing. no improvement. next changed fan clutch and got a new fan since the old one was kinda ground down from hitting the fan shroud. no improvement. then i made this thread. i posted it here and at another site as well. pretty much the same feedback " show some love to my coolant system". so i did. I went and bought a fluidyne 3 row aluminum radiator. just finished installing it an hour ago. i also removed the a/c condenser in the same move. after bleeding the rad i took her out to see if the problem was resolved. NOW I HAVE A NEW PROBLEM! I went WOT for a while and i cant seem to get over 183 degrees! im now between the M and A on NORMAL. Its 75F outside tonight. it will be 91F tomorrow. I will open her up again in the summer heat just to confirm. But it looks like I'll be going back with a 190-192 T-stat as of tomorrow.
What did i learn? well i probably should have upgraded to an aluminum radiator over the winter. or at the very least removed the condenser(it definitely was preventing max airflow) which may have kept me under 210F. but the truth is im glad i made the upgrade because i'd rather be on the lower end of 190-210F anyways. Regardless, sometimes it takes a kick in the butt to get a stubborn mule moving and thats just what you guys did to me. thanks. case closed!