1993 mustang 2.3 / questions

bobsmustang

Feb 29, 2008
Hello, I have a couple of questions about my (stock non turbo)1993 mustang lx with a 2.3 4 cyl. engine. I am trying to gain a little more power and or gas mileage out of this car without pulling the engine or head. I am wondering if there are any simple bolt on parts or that I can buy for it, and if so where? I was also wondering if this car will run correctly without a catalitic converter. This is my daily driver with over 126,000 miles. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Nope, not really.

Bolt ons don't do much for the engine. It just doesn't really have any untapped potential that bolt ons could free up.

I did a few things on my old one (intake, header, exhaust etc), it might have gained me 10 hp at most, but I doubt it.

Also, don't remove the cat. It won't make any more power that way.

Hollow out your intake silencer. Like said above, there is really nothing bolt on that is going to result in massive power gains, but by tweaking a few things you will get a tiny bit more out of it. I hollowed out my air silencer and did notice a small increase in power when I was really into the throttle. You can also set the timing as high as you can without ping. Stock base timing is 10 advance and you could probably get it up to 12 advance without issues. A tune up is always good. Use copper spark plugs (platinum are not needed and some people actually notice power losses with them) and stock plug wires. The car will run just fine without a converter, but it won't result in power gains. Basically, the biggest restriction with the 2.3L is the head. If you do a port and polish that may improve things for you.

give it a little gas

paint your car white to disapate heat and your in business!!! also put extra wax on it for the aerodymics...you will soon see the benifits of small things/...and when you drive....keep your backside to the northern wind...you will glide like a butterfly

another thing you can do is get yourself some monroe air shocks and jack the ass end as high as you can...and that way you will always be going down hlll...an improvement in fuel economy and quarter mile times....or you can go with a v-8 like you should have done in the first place..