1996 cobra installing a 5.8

lilblacktruck

Jul 10, 2002
Ok no flames here I have a 1996 cobra rolling chassis its 100% complete except the motor and trans are missing, I have 2 ways to go on the motor one is a 1995 5.8 out of a l pickup is there anybody whos done this? did the cross member change from 95 or should i buy the cobra r crossmember? the other option is to custom fab the front cradle area and install a ls1.

• Sponsors (?)

lilblacktruck said:
Ok no flames here I have a 1996 cobra rolling chassis its 100% complete except the motor and trans are missing, I have 2 ways to go on the motor one is a 1995 5.8 out of a l pickup is there anybody whos done this? did the cross member change from 95 or should i buy the cobra r crossmember? the other option is to custom fab the front cradle area and install a ls1.

Well if your deciding between a 5.8L out a Pick-up or an LS1...I would do the LS1. Seriously what use would a 5.8L outta a pick-up be to you? Heads, Cam intake all useless...unless of course you want 210hp.. :shrug: Not to mention that a 1995 motor is getting old, if you plan on going with aftermarket Heads...you will probably want to re-build it for sure. So now your left with a Crank & an Iron block.

lilblacktruck said:
definately but the 351 is a weekend project the ls1 could turn into an abortion, I mean the 351 should basically be a bolt in after the crossmember is swapped.

What Kinda of $$$ were you looking at spending on either of the motors?

btw: You can buy new 4.6 32v Mach 1 Motors from karkraft for $2995.00

It offers the same kinda performance as the LS1's & bolt's right in :nice:

http://www.karkraft.com/engines.htm

meaning? the ls1 would go in asis it only has 8k on it the 351 would be rebuil with some$$$ spent in cleaning up the heads and intake, little extra cam, the major $$$$ would be the k-member and headers I figure 2 just in install parts for the 3351 and ???? on the ls1 because its all custom built. Maybe I should just sell the car its fresh paint and looks real pretty 3500. takes it its currently svt blue (2003 color) and it was painted right, doors removed, fenders pulled firewall done comes with a beigh factory interior and a 75% complete black interior minus seats.

lilblacktruck said:

You need to represent the 4.6, 5.0 Big Bore, or 5.4 DOHC in a 96 and newer Mustang. If you do decide on the 5.8, at least get some 95 tail lamps for your 96.

WEll the 5.8 is going in considering I sold the ls1 last night, But anybody have an idea where to get a adaptor plate to put a 03 cobra 6 speed tranny behind the 5.8? Also I purchased a IRS ans the 03 cobra seats from the same guy so it should be one heck of a daily driver, the motor is gonna get a little "salt and pepper" because of how much the ls1 sold for. I want 400 horse and 450 tq at the wheels on pump gas. the car already has the frame tied and the front strut were replaced with some aftermarket adj pieces. Tenative done date 5/1/04.

I want the IRS because its going to be the Daily driver, I have the truck for when i dragrace (only at the track of course) :D Thats why im staying at the 400HP mark plus I can always add a turbo or two down the road. :D