2.3 Header

• Sponsors (?)

JamesBaumann, tell that guy u talked to that he needs to go back to school and learn a little bit more about cars! i have a performance long tube header for a 2.3 in my garage and it fits the mustang perfect.

JamesBaumann said:
Are these longtube headers that you speak of higher performance than the headers off of a ranger? Or are the Ranger headers long tube headers?

The individual tubes on the long tube header are tuned to make more power on the motor than the shorty headers, they generally flow better at all rpm ranges and have smoother bends and no sharp turns.

You will usually make more overall power with long tubes than with the shorty headers.

Anlushac11 said:
The individual tubes on the long tube header are tuned to make more power on the motor than the shorty headers, they generally flow better at all rpm ranges and have smoother bends and no sharp turns.

You will usually make more overall power with long tubes than with the shorty headers.

And these Ranger headers are shorty headers?

tiny4lx said:
i put my header on and felt more power in the mid to upper rpm range but thats where i like it. some low some high! mine is a pacesetter and fits perfect.

How much did you pay for your pacesetter long tube header? I went to there website today and couldn't find any headers for a 2.3 Mustang of our era. I think I found one for an early 80's 2.3 Pinto and an early 80's 2.3 Mustang. Would either of these bolt on to an 88?

tiny4lx said:
JamesBaumann, i think i payed 140 shipped from RacerWalsh. the header is still in good shape, but if your looking for lowend tq. i would say ranger header.

Why? Long tube headers give you more bottom end torque than shorty headers do.

Anyway you can run the '79-81 2.3 header on a later fuel injected car, but you have to block the EGR, extend the O2 sensor harness (you can buy extensions or just extend the wires on the O2 sensor itself), and you have to find some way to put the O2 sensor into the exhaust stream. The crappy thing about the Pacesetter header is that it uses a screwy 2-bolt flange to connect the header to the exhaust whereas every other header on the planet uses the standard 3-bolt flange. I modified the 2 bolt flange on the pacesetter to accept a standard 3-bolt reducer, and it's not very hard to do, I did it with a dremel and some creativity. I did this because Dynomax sells reducers with 02 sensor fittings already in them and it was a lot easier than trying to put a fitting in the pipe itself. Also by doing this you can use any standard 3-bolt collector gasket.

red lx, your saying a long tube header gives you low end torque? i had a ranger header and a long tube header and got more torque down low with the ranger. then put the long tube on and got more in the upper rpm. also JC Whitley still sells the flang to hook up to these headers,but if you buy new you have no worries.

Red_LX said:
Why? Long tube headers give you more bottom end torque than shorty headers do.

Anyway you can run the '79-81 2.3 header on a later fuel injected car, but you have to block the EGR, extend the O2 sensor harness (you can buy extensions or just extend the wires on the O2 sensor itself), and you have to find some way to put the O2 sensor into the exhaust stream. The crappy thing about the Pacesetter header is that it uses a screwy 2-bolt flange to connect the header to the exhaust whereas every other header on the planet uses the standard 3-bolt flange. I modified the 2 bolt flange on the pacesetter to accept a standard 3-bolt reducer, and it's not very hard to do, I did it with a dremel and some creativity. I did this because Dynomax sells reducers with 02 sensor fittings already in them and it was a lot easier than trying to put a fitting in the pipe itself. Also by doing this you can use any standard 3-bolt collector gasket.

so will what you say here work on a 1993?

kiddiccarus said:
so will what you say here work on a 1993?

Any long tube header for a 2.3L Fox Body will work. But starting 1986 Ford offered a 2.3L EFI and by 1987 EFI was standard. If you are going to keep your EFI you need to mount the O2 sensor to the header collector. Any muffler shop should be able to drill and weld a bung on for the o2 sensor.

I was under the impression that the ranger shorty, being a factory header already had the o2 sensor bung.

And you will need to block off the EGR. You can make a plate for this.

I havent seen the EGR valves on the EFI 2.3L motors but on the old motors the EGR bolt pattern was the same as Ford fuel pump block off plates.

Anlushac11 said:
Any long tube header for a 2.3L Fox Body will work. But starting 1986 Ford offered a 2.3L EFI and by 1987 EFI was standard. If you are going to keep your EFI you need to mount the O2 sensor to the header collector. Any muffler shop should be able to drill and weld a bung on for the o2 sensor.

I was under the impression that the ranger shorty, being a factory header already had the o2 sensor bung.

And you will need to block off the EGR. You can make a plate for this.

I havent seen the EGR valves on the EFI 2.3L motors but on the old motors the EGR bolt pattern was the same as Ford fuel pump block off plates.

So what is the best Long tube to get? Mine is still N/A and Will keep EFI but will later on go to a Turbo block so it has to be compatable with that.

Red LX was mentioning the same as you and noted that Dynomax makes a collector with the O2 sensor mounts already all I would need to do is to get the extender for the wires. Part numbers would help out also If anyone knows them for bothe the Collector that red LX was talking about and the Pace Setter header

If you are using a turbo the header will be different. but any good muffler shop can adapt the down pipe from the turbo to your exhaust. Still install the turbo exhaust and all and then when you get your turbo motor you will already have the exhaust system and will only need a pipe from the turbo's down pipe to the exhaust system.

Since this is going to be a short term install til you get your turbo buy a used long tube or something cheap. I wouldnt want to spend alot of money on it if it is going to be temporary. In fact depending on how soon you will be dropping in a turbo motor you might be better off with a Ranger shorty header.