2.3l trouble shooting

Skoobie

Damn...Tyler65's hot!
May 25, 2003
Vancouver, WA
Ok this isnt a Mustang but it is a 2.3 ford block. My 2nd car is an 83 Ranger that I've had since 94 (My first car actually). Shes been through a lot over the years, survived a fire, and generally been a good work horse. But latey she's been sick, and steadily getting worse. I was hoping you guys might be able to help me diagnose her. As far as vehicles go shes bare bones. 2wd, no AC, no smog, single barrel carb. The only 'luxury' is power steering and a heater :nice: There are only two things I know for sure that are wronge with her. One the air/fuel mixture is totally screwed. After I was putting her back together after the fire I tried to adjust the idle control screw...well after several turns of the screw I realized is was the fuel mixture screw. So she runs REALLY rich. Second Im pretty sure the cat is fooked. Starting to smell rotten eggs and the thing rattles like no other. Ok now for the problems. After it starts to warm up it runs really rough and will eventually die. If I stay on the gas I can keep her running but you can tell she just wants to quit. If I wait a minute it starts right back up and will run ok for the next few blocks and then it all starts over again. Last night I noticed a SEVER lack of power. Ever since the fire (about a year ago) I did notice a lack or power but it was nothing I couldnt live with. Well last night I could barely keep her at 25mph in 2nd gear. I had to let her die and start her back up to get SOME power back. She has new plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor, fuel pump, dist, and a newer carb. I may have missed some info so dont be afraid to ask me for more, I'll answer what I can. Any way thanks for the help people :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Wow, no ideas on this one huh? :shrug: At first I thought is was the choke plate not opening but that didnt seem to be the culprate. There dosent seem to be a vacuum leak and all the fluids check out. hmmm