(2) close calls this week

LIZARDKING

Nov 16, 2004
Hell
The first one was my fault. I was sitting at a stop sign, waiting to turn left onto a busy street. I saw a hole in front of a school bus, so I hit the gas. I didnt notice, but the road was a little damp. It had been lightly raining the night before and the sun had dried off the streets, except this was in the shade. So anyway, you know what happens when you floor it on a damp road. The car went about 10 feet then just sat there and spun. I eased off the gas and went again. The hole in front of the bus wasnt big enough to be dicking around. I just made it across, good thing the bus driver was doing the speed limit, any faster and T-bone.

I was on my home from work about 3am, at night whenever I come up on an intersection, I always look. Good thing, a 80s F-150 was blasting along, I had the green, he had the red. He never even slowed down, I bet he was doing 60+ in a 35 zone. Im sure the meat wagon wouldnt have even stopped by the emergency room, one way ticket to the funeral home on that one.

Im 45 and have never been in a car wreck, Im trying to keep it that way.

• Sponsors (?)

Glad to hear you didn't get hit by that truck, that guy sounded like he was oblivious to everything on the road.

I had a similar experience to your first one when I was going home from a class a couple weeks ago. It had rained really hard all night and a little that morning so the road was very damp. I was coming back down a two-lane road and was trying to get around a van since I had to take a right up the road a little bit. I accelerated and when I pounded into second gear (which was really dumb) my backend completely broke out. I felt like I was inside of a pendulum as the car swung back and forth :puke: . Luckily I didn't hit the van or run into oncoming traffic, which was about the only things that would have happened. I regained control and now I drive like a granny in the rain, lol. It was so strange when it happened since everything felt like it was in slow motion, it was pretty creepy.

Glad to hear you made it thru your close calls. I've had a few like that, too. A few my own fault, pretty much, and then a lot of others like the guy that ran thru the green light.

I see going thru a yellow light and if it's yellow and going red, there's a little time limit there. But I've gotten up to lights that had just turned green to me, so I know it had to be red for at least a few seconds to the other driver, and there they are, running it and taking our lives in jeopardy. Pisses me off. I don't necessarily believe in karma, but at those times, I'm sure wishing it! :bang:

Szlachcic said:
Glad to hear you didn't get hit by that truck, that guy sounded like he was oblivious to everything on the road.

I had a similar experience to your first one when I was going home from a class a couple weeks ago. It had rained really hard all night and a little that morning so the road was very damp. I was coming back down a two-lane road and was trying to get around a van since I had to take a right up the road a little bit. I accelerated and when I pounded into second gear (which was really dumb) my backend completely broke out. I felt like I was inside of a pendulum as the car swung back and forth :puke: . Luckily I didn't hit the van or run into oncoming traffic, which was about the only things that would have happened. I regained control and now I drive like a granny in the rain, lol. It was so strange when it happened since everything felt like it was in slow motion, it was pretty creepy.

I know that feeling. A few years ago I was involved in a head-on (I was in a parking lot waiting to turn into a spot, woman came flying around the corner crossed over to where I was and bam...) The worst part about was how slow it seemed, and of course knowing you could do nothing about it.

I had a similar thing happen to me on a dry road after I had my 4:10 gears installed scared the crap out of me I was not expecting the car to react quite that way when I floored it.