2000 V6 fuel system problem

rcballer22

Jan 30, 2008
I am having a fuel issue with my 2000 V6 coupe. I have spark, but no fuel. Car cranks like it wants to turn over but isn't catching (as a result of lacking fuel). Car sat for about 4 weeks without being started. Everything worked fine before it sat, I never had any problems. I changed the fuel filter and we tried to prime fuel pump while filter was off to see if fuel would spurt out and nothing happened. Also checked the pressure valve in engine compartment and nothing happened. I can't be sure the pump is working, I am not sure I can hear it. I am wondering if it is something electrical and would like to try to diagnose that before I go through the trouble of taking the fuel tank off and replacing the pump. I have tried the intertia switch, and checked the fuses, and "inspected" the ccrm. I have no idea what to look for on the ccrm. Can someone walk me through the "electrical" inspections to test the function of the pump? Please keep in mind that I am a complete dope when it comes to all things electrical on the car. I have a multimeter if I need to use it, although I don't know how.
Thanks!!
:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

With the ignition on (all dash lights on but engine not running), check for +12V at the fuel pump plug outside the tank. You'll have to find a wiring diagram to get the correct colors, since I think the fuel level signal comes through the same plug. If there's voltage, then your pump is bad.

be careful when checking for power. when the key is cycled to the on postition you will only see power to the pump for a few seconds,
or you must be cranking or running to see consisten power at the fuel pump
:canada: