2003 Cobra 3.10" Steeda pulley question

I talked to Steeda, and my contact there said that for the 3.10" pulley, you don't need the Diablosport delta chip. However, on the Steeda website it says that both the 2.81 and the 3.10 pulley requires it.

Anyone have an educated guess on this? Maybe they only put that up on the website to play it safe. My guess would be you could just boost another psi or two out of the supercharger without chipping, as the guy from Steeda told me.

• Sponsors (?)

I am running a 3.2 with no chip. I think it's just about at it limits without a custom tune. My dyno sheet is on www.svtperformance.com run a search with my user name "03shadowcobra". As others have said you will get the most out of the car with a custom tune but you will lose your warranty. You can try a 3.1 but definetly put it on a dyno and check the A/F ratio. South Florida Pulley HQ sells 3.4, 3.2, 3.1, 3.0..... and so on for pulley sizes if you want something bigger than 3.1.

92gt5.0 said:
Thanks Viper So a 3.4 pulley would not need a chip and would give you 12 pounds boost maybe?? Maybe good for 30 to 40 rwhp?
No.

You shouldn't need a chip with a 3.4, it is only slightly smaller than stock. I have heard you will get about 2 lbs of boost with it and about 10 rwhp.

And like someone else said, if you DO get a chip, you mine as well go with a really small pulley.....2.93 or 2.81 for example.

I think I was told 3.2 is the smallest you can go without a chip... I would just get the 2.93 lighting pullie and a chip to go with it. You will see about 4psi extra with the lighting pullie for a total of about 12psi. Thats what I am doing, I hope for 450rwhp with my mods :)

I have a steeda 3.1 pulley with a gatorback 74.5 belt

I was told by alot of techs that 3.1 is about the border line for no chip. Try it and have it dynoed. These car do run pig rich so your A/F could be fine. If you decide to chip it spend the money on the Predator. You won't be sorry.

When I ran my 3.2" pulley, my air-fuel from 2500rpm to 4000rpm was a bit high, IMO. Started at 14:1 and slowly dipped to 12.3:1 or so. After 4000rpm, it dropped to below 10:1 by 6000rpm. I then swapped it out for a 2.93" where the air-fuel was unacceptably high. It seems I'm one of the few that use the Afterbuner eFPC to tune my air-fuel. It allows me to alter my fuel pressure in 400rpm increments. It's more of a safety net than a performance booster. Being that I haven't changed my timing curves, I've left a lot of torque on the table as well as some performance. Regardles, I'm sastisfied with the performance so far.

ChrisXoxide said:
I talked to Steeda, and my contact there said that for the 3.10" pulley, you don't need the Diablosport delta chip. However, on the Steeda website it says that both the 2.81 and the 3.10 pulley requires it.

Anyone have an educated guess on this? Maybe they only put that up on the website to play it safe. My guess would be you could just boost another psi or two out of the supercharger without chipping, as the guy from Steeda told me.

Have you ever had your car dyno'ed before? Do you even know where your A/F ratio is with your current mods? I don't know why people feel a need to take a chance and run smaller pulleys (any diameter) without getting their A/F checked! Just doesn't make sense to me. I know that 90% of all stock '03 Cobra's are pig rich right out of the factory, but what happens when you get one like mine that isn't? 3.4, or 3.2, or 3.1... doesn't matter, you should get the A/F checked and the car tuned for the pulley.

My 2 cents...

U.M.

ChrisXoxide said:

That seems kind of strange to me. I actually drove my 03 to Pompano Fl to have Steeda install my pulley. I ended up with the 2.81, but while I was debating which pulley to go with I specifically asked them if I would need the chip with the 3.1 pulley. I was told "if you want to be on the safe side, you should have the chip installed". I guess it's better to spend $280 for the chip instead of $11,000 for a new engine.

Besides, with the chip you will maximize the power output of your engine.