2nd to 3rd shift transmisson whining?

GitDat

Founding Member
Mar 24, 2002
Indy
I hear this whining noise when I shift from 2nd gear to 3rd gear. I can't get it to make the whining noise doing any other order of shifting other than from 2nd to 3rd. Is my T-45 getting ready to keel over or something? :shrug: lol

• Sponsors (?)

GitDat said:
I hear this whining noise when I shift from 2nd gear to 3rd gear. I can't get it to make the whining noise doing any other order of shifting other than from 2nd to 3rd. Is my T-45 getting ready to keel over or something? :shrug: lol

Could be your 3.55 gears...

Is the whine loud?

the98stang said:
Could be your 3.55 gears...

Is the whine loud?

This just started a couple of days ago. And it only whines when it first goes into 3rd gear from 2nd. If I shift from 4th to 3rd or any other combination of shifting it doesn't do it. It is kind of loud yes on the shift.

It sounds to me like your third gear blocker ring is starting to wear out on ya. I just rebuilt my transmission, and that sounds like the only thing that could really cause grinding in just third gear itself.

It's not really a grinding so much as it is a mechanical whining sound. It's kind of strange how I can't get it to do it if I shift from 4th to 3rd. Has to strictly be from 2nd to 3rd and the whine last for a fraction of a second.