302 a 302 ?

kornchild4life

Mar 30, 2005
islip, ny
Really stupid question, is the 302 block the same no matter what car or truck it comes out of? My dad is giving me a crappy van with a 302 in it but it just needs to be rebuilt because the head gasket went on one side and sat for a little while. I would be able to take that engine out clean it all up and put into the mustang just as long as I put the right motor mounts and other parts on it right? or no:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Far from it. Since about 64 or whenever the year they were introduced there have been a whole slew of different versions, like block revisions and a whole army of head revisions, intake changes and so on. Then you've got roller and non roller 302s, plus HO and non-HO motors. I'd find out what year the van is and you can sort of go from there.

kornchild4life said:
It's a 1990 E-150 van with a 302, what I mean is the block it's self completely empty would I be able to take that and rebuild it with all the parts i want with it and put it into my mustang?

Again that depends on a few things. If it's a bare block, and i mean BARE, then the first thing would be if it's a roller or non roller block. By '90 they should have all been rollers, but in a van i couldn't tell ya for sure.