302 EFI

KH!

Nov 17, 2006
I have a question about the 302 EFI. I was told not to mod up a 302 form 1986 and 1987, to use the one from 88 and up becuase the mod changes would hurt the engines performance and driveability. Does it really matter or did the guy I talk to blow smoke up my ass?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm just a puppy with EFI, so I may be wrong,

I believe '88 was the first year for Mass Air, but only in a few applications. I believe most applications continued using Speed Density.

I believe Mass Air adjusts to modifications (because it's an actual measurement of the mass of air being ingested) where Speed Density pretty much follows a "map" and is limited in compensating for mods, if it compensates at all.

What I've learned (I believe) is changing from SD to MA is not very difficult involving little more than the changing of the computer and valve body.

If I'm wrong I hope someone tells us about it. ;)

fordfuelinjection.com/ seems to have a bit of info on this.

{link}Link to a table{link}

Your very close Mark...88 was the first year for mass air in CA, all others were converted to mass air in 89. I converted an 87 Saleen to mass air with a kit from FMS. It's not very hard, kit includes a pigtail that plugs into the computer, a MAF meter with all the p[roper plastic and rubber pieces, and plugs to plug off the MAP sensor I believe.

I forget which year it is, I believe 86 used flat top pistons, NFG when trying to use any kind of performance heads. I think it's 92 that used forged pistons, excellent for mods. Someone correct me if I am wrong

I forget which year it is, I believe 86 used flat top pistons, NFG when trying to use any kind of performance heads. I think it's 92 that used forged pistons, excellent for mods. Someone correct me if I am wrong
Well Alcino used a 86 block and trick flow twisted wedge cylinder heads on his mustang II.

that is correct if you try to mod a EFI car with speed density it can get sticky, SD does NOT do well with cam changes. As far as motors, you could use an 86 motor if the pistons are fly cut for the heads, and I know from experience you have to fly cut the pistons with TFS heads if you use a cam with a large profile.

EFI

It is better to use a mass air setup as it responds better to mods. The speed density can be converted with a harness and computer if you already have one. But if you plan to do the GT 40 intake/Vortech route, the mass air flow works much better. You may have minor hood issues depending on spacers, but the rest pretty much fits. We recently installed one with a Tremec TKO in a car for my daughter. With less weight than a Fox 5.0 it runs well.