305 hp?

• Sponsors (?)

I am guessing that Ford claims that the new 2007 Mustang 4.6L produces 305 hp. I have heard that they understated the horsepower before but retracted from their 325hp claim on the new Shelby GT, which they now say produces 319 hp.

Also, the 2007 GTs are heavier than the previous 2005s and 2006s due to components/platform? to accomodate the 5.4L GT500 engine. So maybe they did something with the computer mapping to increase the horsepower to off set the added weight.

The only thing I can find on the net to support this 305hp claim is from the 2006 Car show in Phoenix, Arizona. Go to this link and look at the sixth row of pictures: http://www.pbase.com/geokolb/2006_auto_show

Maybe this was a marketing ace in the hole (previous understating of hp) to help clear out a bunch of 2007 GTs to make room for the 2008s.

the last thing a mustang needs is more weight..

From what I have heard, the 2007 Mustang GT is about 100 pounds heavier than the 2006. Supposedly, the 2007 is using the Thunderbird platform and this was done so that Ford had one platform that could handle the 4.6L and 5.4L engine used in the GT500. I don't know if this is BS or not. Just what I have read on another forum.

From what I have heard, the 2007 Mustang GT is about 100 pounds heavier than the 2006. Supposedly, the 2007 is using the Thunderbird platform and this was done so that Ford had one platform that could handle the 4.6L and 5.4L engine used in the GT500. I don't know if this is BS or not. Just what I have read on another forum.

The 05 and up Mustang uses a highly modified version of that Thunderbird/LS platform. It's not new for 07. IF the 07 is any heavier its probably due to additional stampings and reinforcement.

The Mustang does not use the LS / T-bird platform.:rolleyes:

However some changes were made in 2007 to strengthen the unibody. More welds were added and some of the sheet metal parts are thicker. You are correct that the changes were made primarily because of the higher HP in the GT-500.

The Mustang does not use the LS / T-bird platform.:rolleyes:

However some changes were made in 2007 to strengthen the unibody. More welds were added and some of the sheet metal parts are thicker. You are correct that the changes were made primarily because of the higher HP in the GT-500.

From answers.com on the S197 Mustang -

"Despite rumours hinting otherwise, D2C (platform name for current Mustang) is loosely based on the Ford DEW platform which served as the basis for the Lincoln LS, Ford Thunderbird, and Jaguar S-Type. The 2005 S197 Mustang was originally designed to use a "Lite" version of the DEW98 platform, but while that plan was eventually scrapped as too expensive, most D2C platform development completed prior to that decision was retained. This led to the carryover of several DEW98 chassis components. These components include the floor pans, portions of the transmission tunnel, the front frame rails, and fuel tank design."

Lightly based from the DEW platform...

From answers.com on the S197 Mustang -

"Despite rumours hinting otherwise, D2C (platform name for current Mustang) is loosely based on the Ford DEW platform which served as the basis for the Lincoln LS, Ford Thunderbird, and Jaguar S-Type. The 2005 S197 Mustang was originally designed to use a "Lite" version of the DEW98 platform, but while that plan was eventually scrapped as too expensive, most D2C platform development completed prior to that decision was retained. This led to the carryover of several DEW98 chassis components. These components include the floor pans, portions of the transmission tunnel, the front frame rails, and fuel tank design."

Lightly based from the DEW platform...

X2

Between the strengthened sheet metal, and if you get one equiped with all the added goodies to be had in an 07 (comfort group, side air bags, GT appearance package, sattelite radio, premier trim package & TPMS) I'm sure this would make a loaded 07 heavier than any 05-06 car.

Just to calrify... I am an executive TV news producer at the local NBC affiliate, and saw the ad during my show. I went down and had them play the spot for me to make sure I hadn't imagined it. I didn't, it's there.