305 or 335 Nitto drag radials?

tjmaxx

Jun 21, 2004
Okay I just bought some Saleen 9 inch wide rims and I need to know what size tire I should get. I am debating between 305's or 335's? I want 315's but cant seem ti find them anywhere, and I really want Nitto 555r's. So my questions are is a 305 going to have enough side wall for my 9 inch wide rims? Also is a 335 going to have to much side wall for my 9 inch wide rims? Also is the 335 worth an extra $65 a piece? If anyone has any pictures of these tires on there car please post pictures.

• Sponsors (?)

Okay I just bought some Saleen 9 inch wide rims and I need to know what size tire I should get. I am debating between 305's or 335's? I want 315's but cant seem ti find them anywhere, and I really want Nitto 555r's. So my questions are is a 305 going to have enough side wall for my 9 inch wide rims? Also is a 335 going to have to much side wall for my 9 inch wide rims? Also is the 335 worth an extra $65 a piece? If anyone has any pictures of these tires on there car please post pictures.

Wait a minute... You can't put 305 or 315 or 295 for that matter on a 9" rim. You can only fit a 275 tire on a 9" rim (max approved size by tire manufacturers).

I just put 305 on a 10" rim yesterday and it barely fits.

I think 305s would be your choice here. I had 335s on my 10.5" rims for a little while, and they were a tiiiny bit stretched. I couldn't imagine what a 335 would look like on a 9" rim. I had regular Pirelli 335s, and they were alright, but a set of 275 Nitto DRs on a 9" hooked WAY more than they did.

It'll be pretty rolled, and some shops might not do it, but I don't see it as being any worse than putting 275s on an 8" rim. I've done that before myself, and I thought it looked pretty sweet out back. They reccomend a 9.5-11.5" for 305s for cheap Pirellis.

Wait a minute... You can't put 305 or 315 or 295 for that matter on a 9" rim. You can only fit a 275 tire on a 9" rim (max approved size by tire manufacturers).

I just put 305 on a 10" rim yesterday and it barely fits.

I'm running 285 GS-D3's on my 18x9's out back right now and plan to stick a set of 295 KDW2's out back when I get new back tires.

The 285's fit just fine, I love 'em!

Would it make more sense to get 2.95's? I have 275's on my stock 8 inch rims and I like the way those look so I would like to keep it like that if I could, but I also want to get traction because I 4.10's and on 275 street tires I cant seem to hook.

Ive decided to go 305/35/18 in the back, but I am unsure of what to use in the front? I was thinking either 255/35/18's, 265/35/18's/ or 275/35/18's I want some with some side wall so I dont get curb rash.

Ok I have found another tire that seems pretty good for the price...

http://www.americanmuscle.com/sumitomo-htrzii-285-35-18.html

http://www.americanmuscle.com/nitto-nt555r-305-35-18.html

It's either going to be those sumitomo's or the Nitto 555r's there is a big size difference but also a big price difference. The only problem is I dont get traction with the all season tires I already have:nonono: because I have 4.10's, should I spend the extra money and get the Nitto's or go with the sumitomo's which are better than the one's I have now and a tad bit wider because I am currently running 275's:shrug:

if you go that big on a 9" wheel, you can say goodbye to handling. sidewall flex will be crazy. one of the best suspension mods i did was go from a 8" wheel to a 9" wheel with 275 tires. plus, a nice set of 275s will hook as good as a cheap set of 305s. quality, not quantity.

So are those Sumitomo's pretty much junk? Because they are Mustang tires, and they are a bit smaller at 285's:shrug:

no such thing as "mustang tires" or "camaro tires". tires are just tires. and as for the Sumitomos, ive never owned a pair, but a couple buddies have, and they say they hook ok for the first 3k miles or so, then the tire just sucks all around. bad traction, bad wear, noisy. plus, sumitomos arent known for their super strong sidewalls. im not sure if youre looking for a handling tire, or a 'go straight' tire, but i would look into something a little higher quality. although i know everyone has a budget (i was forced to buy Kuhmos while in school, now ive upgraded to BFG :nice: ), and you may not care too much about handling on the street.

Yea I mean I rarely drive the car so im sure if I got the Nitto 555r's They would last a long time but I am in school and do have a budget. The big thing I am thinking about is if I buy the cheaper tires I can put that money torwards other mods but I guess that wouldnt really help out because I still wouldnt be able to get traction:shrug:

The 555Rs hands down...if you want to hook, get them. I can almost promis you that you wont even spin in 1st gear....my nitto 315s dead hook in 2nd gear @ 8PSI (on 90% of the roads). Thats 440RWHP. And since you dont drive your car much...perfect.

And 305s will do fine on there....my 315 DRs are as wide as my old 285 humhos. I run a 10.5 rim and they are definatly a bit too small. The nitto DRs run pretty small.

You guys are making this too hard:D I want the Nitto's but there so damn expensive for me being a college student. I really think what I am going to do is buy the 285's sumitomo's for my street tires and just switch my other stock 17's on with Nitto 555r's 275/40/18's on for the track:shrug: