351 in my '68, manual TCP Rack - which headers?

68keyblr

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Mar 17, 2003
Arizona
Hi folks, I've been a way for a while as I blew up the motor in my '68 last year and it's been sitting every since.

I am looking into building a 351W 408 for it. I will be installing a TCP manual rack.

My question is, what headers will fit this combination?

Thanks in advance :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

I have a set of the non coated 351 Swap headers, part number HED-88660 for sale. They have never been ran and are brand new with high temp paint on them. im selling for 120 shipped if your interested. My engine combo required a bigger header, so i had to go bigger. The only difference between the HED-88660 and the HED-88666 is the coating. PM me if your interested.

If I can add a relevant question to this, does anyone know if these headers will clear the fox body T5 bellhousing/clutch cable on a 351w in a 68?

I would really like a set of long tubes, I think I would actually benefit from them at this point. When I first put my car together I had an old set of long tubes on it but the collectors wanted to be where my clutch cable should be like an inch in front of where the cable housing would go into the foxbody T5 bellhousing, so I went with some Hedman swap shorties.

If I can add a relevant question to this, does anyone know if these headers will clear the fox body T5 bellhousing/clutch cable on a 351w in a 68?

I would really like a set of long tubes, I think I would actually benefit from them at this point. When I first put my car together I had an old set of long tubes on it but the collectors wanted to be where my clutch cable should be like an inch in front of where the cable housing would go into the foxbody T5 bellhousing, so I went with some Hedman swap shorties.

The specs on the headers say only for an automatic transmission, looks like they wouldn't work

I have a set of the non coated 351 Swap headers, part number HED-88660 for sale. They have never been ran and are brand new with high temp paint on them. im selling for 120 shipped if your interested. My engine combo required a bigger header, so i had to go bigger. The only difference between the HED-88660 and the HED-88666 is the coating. PM me if your interested.

Thanks, I may take you up on this. I'll have to check into the cost to get them jet-hot coated

Look at the Hooker Super-Comps I am running those on my 408w which has a T5 behind it and it clears everything fine and they have 1 3/4 in primaries. All this is jammed in my 65! I would assume the 68 has a little more room than me under the hood.

Hi! I have those in my 66 with 351w and T5, I'm running a cable clutch and no problem, I have over and inch off clearance between the cable and headders but for assurance I wrap the headders and the cable.

I have used these on a 67 with a 351 poked and stroked to 427.
Hedman Hedders 88658 - Hedman Elite Hedders - Overview - SummitRacing.com
They are not long tube but worked well. Although I don't think the driver one would have cleared a brake booster the way the #7 tube goes up and over #8. The car also had a TCP rack (power). They are 14 gage with 3/8 flanges and are coated. They also have a ball and socket style collector so you don't have to worry about collector gaskets.

I used a set of Hedman 88658 Elite series. They are medium length, coated, 14 gage with 3/8 flanges. They will clear the rack and work well. THe only problem you might have is they could hit the booster if you are running power brakes because of how the #7 tube goes up and over the #8 tube. Total Control Products might be able to sugest a long tube that will clear.

I used a set of Hedman 88658 Elite series. They are medium length, coated, 14 gage with 3/8 flanges. They will clear the rack and work well. THe only problem you might have is they could hit the booster if you are running power brakes because of how the #7 tube goes up and over the #8 tube. Total Control Products might be able to sugest a long tube that will clear.

Unfortunately I'm running power brakes :( I contacted Total Control, they weren't much help which was disappointing. I thought they were a bit more professional. They recommended a FPA header, but didn't say which one.

Unfortunately I'm running power brakes :( I contacted Total Control, they weren't much help which was disappointing. I thought they were a bit more professional. They recommended a FPA header, but didn't say which one.

Hi! the 88660 fit with 7 inch brake booster, got about 1 inch clearance with the master cylinder

I have a set of FPA ceramic coated headsers.. I was very impressed with the fit and quality on them.

I have a 69 with 302 with TCP power rack, TKO600 cable clutch and no clearance issues with anything.

Call FPA. The person I talked to was very helpful.

I have a set of FPA ceramic coated headsers.. I was very impressed with the fit and quality on them.

I have a 69 with 302 with TCP power rack, TKO600 cable clutch and no clearance issues with anything.

Call FPA. The person I talked to was very helpful.

I emailed them, and got a quote - $770 coated. Are they worth it?

yeah. Im sure there are less expensive ones that will fit. but these are thick tubing, thick flanges. if i remember right they were coated inside and out. had them for year and 8 months, coating still looks new.

the clutch cable runs inbetween a couple of the tubes. I just put one of those aluminized fiberglass insulator sleeves where it gets near the header.. never had any issues with my clutch cable.

you can get a socket on almost every bolt except for one or two.

Attachments

• IMG_0246.JPG
    IMG_0246.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_0273.jpg
    IMG_0273.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 310