5.0 from 88 GT?

zZsKyZz

Dec 1, 2005
Is it true that these engines had forged cranks? Will they fit our cars? I want to use it to make a 331 or I might just keep it as a 302...well, 306 if the crank is forged and spray it. Will this crank withstand alot of abuse? is there anything you guys would look for if you kept it a 306 and sprayed it? here's my idea:

Forged Sealed Power/Federal Mogul pistons
Forged rods... Still looking for a decent rod. Any suggestions?
1.7 ford racing rockers
GT40/GT40p heads ported by a local machine shop
Steeda #19 cam
ARP bolts
Cobra/GT40 upper/lower intake manifold matched to the heads

Anything else I should look for/add/think about? What type of nitrous system do you think would be the best on this engine? I can't really afford a SC at the moment so nitrous is my best bet. I use to have a 5115 NOS system and it was decent, but I'm leaning towards a ZEX kit. Also, will this be a good match with my current mods?

Suggestion/costs/flames/comments/ideas/uhhh?'s...

This will be my first build.. I'm excited and I wanna do it right.. Please help me out here guys :) thanks.

-John

• Sponsors (?)

87GTSnake said:
If I remeber correctly the pistons are forged and the crank is cast.
That is correct.

Now onto the important stuff. I'm not an engine builder by any means, so take this with a grain of salt...
The factory cast crank will handle more power than the block will. If you're going to spend the money, I've seen tons of budget minded 331-347 stroker kits with quality parts. It might be a cast crank in the kits, but again, it'll more than likely outlast the block, so you'd be pretty safe in reusing the stock crank if you're keeping the stock stroke, but keep an eye on how much they need to turn down the journals, if necessary. I don't recall off hand who said it, but someone on here who built a 347 (was over in 5.0 Tech I believe) said to total up your build then add $1000 across the top to cover machine work, balancing, and any miscellaneous needs that may arise once you get into it. Good luck with your build!

:stupid:

ditch the forged rod deal as well.

if you do a 347 then you may want to take the maoney you saved on the forged parts and put that towards some good heads/intake.

here is what i would do:
347 longblock from chp, can't remember what model but the first one offered with vic jr's
track heat intake
BIGGGG cam