5.0 swap

rmann54

Aug 5, 2007
ok so i have a 77 mustang with a 2.3 and i really want a 5.0 but i dont want to change the car because this is my first car. anyways i wanted to know what the easyiest yr engine is to install and trans i want a 5 speed its already a standard trans. i want the engine to be fuel injected to because i live in cali so it still needs to be smoged :bang:

and what did the v-8 mustangs do for converters was it a y pipe into a single converter or duel setup?

:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

If you don't really want to change the car... why a EFI 5.0 swap?

theres tons of stuff you need to get for the 5.0part alone, not to mention the EFI goodies. It's been done though, I'll let one of the more experiences (ie: someone who did it lol) members chime in

well i want the car but it doesnt need to be stock i wanted EFI for smog and HP reasons. i figured id get like a 88 GT and switch everything over but i wasnt sure if theres a better yr or anything

My two cents:

Put a 2.3L Turbo in it. Get a 1986-88 Thunderbird Turbo coupe or a XR4TI as a running parts car. These cars go for nothing ($500.00) The T-birds also have nice bolt-in to a II Recaro style seats. A 2.3l makes V8 horsepower stock, and for pocket change they can propel a II to stupid fast!

If you want a V8 II, I would again sugjest a Mustang II V8 parts car.

Some of the parts you will need:
V8 II motor mounts
V8 II frame mounts
V8 throttle cable
V8 II bellhousing, starter, flexplate (C4 auto)
V8 II timming cover and dip stick
V8 Mustang II oil pan and pick-up
Most of this stuff can not be bought new, so e-bay or used.