5-Point or 6-Point Harness?

Khyron

Oct 20, 2006
Lincoln, NE
Hey all - I'm looking for input as to whether I should go with a 5-point harness or a 6-point harness? The 5-point would require either drilling a hole or mounting a bracket between the front seat bolts for the submarine belt. This is easy enough.

Going with a 6-point however, I could just connect the twin submarine straps to the front seat bolts (with spacers) but no drilling or custom brackets required. Forgive the stupid question here, but with the 6-point do the submarine straps come up between the legs or outside them? To me, it doesn't seem like a very comfortable fit.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Six point racing harnesses are incredibly annoying from everything I have heard, but I've never personally experienced them. As a quote from a website, "The leg straps wrap across the inside and top of the legs before securing at the buckle."

In the race car we built at my college, we used a 5 point racing harness. We had a six point as well, but we chose not to use it.

Think about it this way:

5-point harness, the anti-submarine strap runs right over your manhood.

6-point runs along the front edge of your pelvic bone on the right and left side of your manhood.

In a frontal accident at 50MPH you're experiencing roughly 35G of deceleration, should you survive the anti-submarine strap in a 5 point harness will have obliterated your manhood, think of 1500lb hammer being dropped on your balls.

Also, if you have a gut (fat) you'll have to worry about the correct side strap angles, if they exceed 50 degrees (straps cross your stomach like this: / instead of like this |) then you will be putting a tremendous load on your nether-regions.

Also!

Most importantly the anti-sub straps MUST be mounted rearward of your seating position.

Basically if you've mounted the anti-sub strap(s) through a hole in the floor (terrible idea in the first place) the is in front of the hole through the bottom of your seat you've undermined the ability of the harness to work.

All mounting points should be basically under your ass, NOT towards your knee/thigh (which is exactly what happens when you mount the sub straps to the front seat mounting bolts). Move the Sub-Strap mounting points to either the rear seat bolts OR the side strap mounting location.