5w20 or 5w30??

• Sponsors (?)

I use the FL820 filter from the parts store. Works way better than the Fram filter. I also just changed over to AmsOil 0W30 Full synthetic. I havent had any problems with it at all. I raced 2 lapping days(road corse) on the same oil, and all still looks good, but i will be changing it before the next time out to the track. I'm interested in maybe trying the racing 20W50 but think it may be a bit thick. what are the thoughts about this.

Alright, I decided on Mobil 1, 5w30 which I think for street use will work out fine. Question, I put 6 quarts in with a new Motorcraft FL820 oil filter and the dip stick looks about 1/2 quart low. Is this normal? Do these actually require 6 1/2 qts. with filter change? Should I add 1/2 or leave at 6 qts.?

10thanniv said:
Alright, I decided on Mobil 1, 5w30 which I think for street use will work out fine. Question, I put 6 quarts in with a new Motorcraft FL820 oil filter and the dip stick looks about 1/2 quart low. Is this normal? Do these actually require 6 1/2 qts. with filter change? Should I add 1/2 or leave at 6 qts.?
There's a TSB out there on the dipstick not reading correctly on the 4v's. 6 Qts is the correct fill.

U.M.

What is the TSB about? Is there a correction or just information? My '01 Cobra always reads 1/2 low with oil and filter & 6 qts. So does my '96 GT (6 qts)but my wife's '00 GT has always been right on with 5 qts. Seems like they're all over the place.

Is the TSB available on line or "top secret" at the dealers only?

Thanks.

mustangrmyk said:
What is the TSB about? Is there a correction or just information? My '01 Cobra always reads 1/2 low with oil and filter & 6 qts. So does my '96 GT (6 qts)but my wife's '00 GT has always been right on with 5 qts. Seems like they're all over the place.

Is the TSB available on line or "top secret" at the dealers only?

Thanks.

Lets think about this:

1/2 Quart filter, 5 quart oil pan = 5.5 quarts

I run this in my Cobra:

SAE 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil

New Motorcraft® Full Synthetic SAE 5W-30 Motor Oil is designed, engineered and recommended by Ford Motor Company. It meets or exceeds engine oil recommendations by Ford Motor Company and many other equipment manufacturers that recommend oils of this viscosity grade and quality. It is also certified by the American Petroleum Institute (API), and bears their "Certification Trademark."
:flag:

mustangrmyk said:
Hey, UM, I remember you saying a while back that you didn't like Royal Purple. I think you said you wouldn't use it in your lawn mower. How come?
Here's the link for the post from the Tribologist that talks about different oils including RP. I suggest everyone take some time and read what this guy says...

http://67.15.62.79/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28465

U.M.

*EDIT* Link fixed!