60ft Time Help

robert fugate

Oct 1, 2012
valdosta ga
So i took my car to the track last night after 12 years of it not running. Ran a
@ 100.04
60'.... 1.762
330... 5.353
1/8.. 8.392
1000... 11.046

So i have the explorer engine with the trick flow stage 1, explorer throttle body, upper and lower intake.
Electric fan and water pump. Manual rack, no AC no smog no nothing. Only thing my belt runs is the alternator. stock injectors and maf. 10 point cage, summit racing seats and Drag lites with Mickey thompson et street 275/60/15. 28-24 psi didnt change anything.
Drag bag in passenger side spring. Comp. engineering 90/10 struts. Upper and lower control arms.
C4 with a 3500 stall and 3.55 gears.

Never weighed the car, its a hatchback with cobra ground effects. Not sure what else would help with this.. I just feel like im running slower then I should be and my 60" times seem really slow as well. I also have a nitrous kit installed that i didn't use that night but I plan to spray 100 next weekend and then 150 the next. I was really hoping for high 12's on motor

• Sponsors (?)

Considering your car's trap speed is 100mph, I'd say the 13.3 ET and 1.76 60ft are very good indeed. It seems to me that you need to add some more HP if you want to run 12's. Have you modified the exhaust?

Reactions: 1 user
Considering your car's trap speed is 100mph, I'd say the 13.3 ET and 1.76 60ft are very good indeed. It seems to me that you need to add some more HP if you want to run 12's. Have you modified the exhaust?
I agree.. 100mph and 13.3 is good in my book. Drop some weight or add some hp. Sounds like that's gonna be the best your gonna get with your combo the way it is.

OK. It seems that you already have enough HP to run 12's. The stock Fox tach can often read too high so if you're relying upon it, you may be inadvertently upshifting too early.

I have thought about upgrading the injectors but I don't plan on using this motor to long. Hoping to build a 351 in the near future. I'm using an aftermarket tach and it seems to read about 300rpm higher then the stock tach. I'm shifting at 5500 I think I might have tried 5800 once and didn't help

at 83mph in the 1/8 I would expect it to pick up more on the back half. like 103-104. I think id put more gear/better converter in it. it seems to be laying over after the 1/8th. I would expect it to go very low 13s with that kind of 1/8th mile ET and mph. is the lower intake on those explorers small like the old gt40/cobra intakes, or is the cross section pretty close to the opening of the head? I would say run a better intake, but I also expect more out of what you already have. what valve springs are you running? also might need more than a 19lb injector and a stock maf.

I ordered my valve springs from alexparts.com Not sure about the lower intake it's suppose to be the exact same thing as the cobra i believe. Didnt really look at it close. I was under the impression these intakes were good up to about 500 hp. Was actually contemplating pulling the upper and lower off and clean them up a bit maybe port match them at least. Just bought a 95 maf off ebay they come 70mm i believe for 19lb. Would love to say i run 12's on motor but like i said i've installed a nitrous kit and i know once i start spraying it i'll never turn back. So maybe just start shooting for 11's with 150. It was about 90 degrees that night, but im at sea level basically. I have no o2 sensors atm as i intended switching the car to carb many years ago. But I just ordered a new o2 harness and i'll put that one when it gets here. Maybe the car was running a bit rich?

are the springs correct for the cam? did you check the installed height and shim them correctly to get them .060-.080 from coil bind? if that intake is small like a cobra/gt40 that could be what is hurting it. those intakes are good for 500-600, if they are ported and running boost or nitrous. there are better intakes out there, but I think there is more left in the combo. I would put more injector in it if possible, or at least up the fuel pressure. it needs to be right before you run it on the gas. because I would think you have the basics under the hood to run at least 12.40s on motor if everything is right.

Yes he said the springs work perfect for the cam. I did not check the valve spring height. I did play around with my fuel pressure from 45 psi down to 38. And like i said theres no o2 sensors so im not sure what the pc is doing with them.But it was just 13.3 all night. Should bracket race lol. I have access to some 30lb injectors but thought they might be to much.

Here's my 2 cents...

If your running at sgmp you need to throw the wood to it fast! That track is very radial friendly to say the least... And your biggest issue is a 28" tire and not enough gear/hp to get the car moving steady. Our combos are very close I went from a 28" 373 combo to a 410 26" combo to help get my car moving this year.

I didn't even catch that is was the 275/60. it definatly needs a 26" tire, and probably at least a 3.73. that would help a bunch. I still think its laying down a bunch on the big end in mph from 1/8 to 1/4. I would check the valvesprings at full open and see how far they are away from coil bind. improper valvespring setup can cause one to lay down. also, it could be that the heads need a valvejob or any combination of the what was suggested above. I agree that the 30s would probably be too much injector unless you had it tuned.

As mentioned above, you need gearing, and I would agree with a 26" tire and 4.10's.
If you are running the stock fuel pump, I'd address that, not injectors and you definitely have more than enough intake.

Fwiw I trapped 107 on e7 heads with the exploder intake 108 on my bogging 12.4 gt40 head pass but I launched around 4500 off a 2 step and had slightly more gear then you.

4.10 and 26" is 116mph at 6100 so you'll have enough rpm to run it out

I agree with more gear, less tire. I also think that your 60ft time is really good for your combo. Not saying it couldn't improve, but definetely not bad. Your mph are really low, even for your ET. With a 8.3X in the 1/8th, you should be very low 13's, if not 12.9X's.

You need to get the O2 sensors reinstalled and check for codes. Even with more gear, less tire, I think something is still amiss. Start with the O2's and codes, see what comes up.

Joe

at 83mph in the 1/8 I would expect it to pick up more on the back half. like 103-104.

The OP didn't mention what the 1/8 mile mph was (only the 8.392 ET) so I don't know where you found that 83mph figure.
The 28" tire/3.55 gear combo won't be helping. Just reducing the tire size alone to 26" will increase torque multiplication at the wheels by 7.7% and improve in-gear acceleration.

The OP didn't mention what the 1/8 mile mph was (only the 8.392 ET) so I don't know where you found that 83mph figure.
The 28" tire/3.55 gear combo won't be helping. Just reducing the tire size alone to 26" will increase torque multiplication at the wheels by 7.7% and improve in-gear acceleration.

lol. i dont know where i came up with that mph. i must have been half asleep when i posted.