Progress Thread 66 Coup Restore/build

Zstang66

Apr 30, 2016
Bellingham
Hey guys. New to this forum. Going to update my build on my 66 coupe.
Here is the story on my car. I bought it in march after bugging the guy I bought it from for the last 10 years to sell it. He retired and finey gave in! The car had sat for the last 18 years and before that it was in LA where he bought it. He was the original owner.Car has 82xxx on the car. It has a 289 with a 2bbl on it with a C4 Trans. It had a paint job in the 80s but was a crappy paint job. So thats on my list to do. The car is all original except the new fuel tank and fuel pump i installed. Car was parked with a full tank of gas So gas thank and sending unit was a must replace before it was drive able. So what i have done to it so far is changed all the fluids in the car, new gas tank,new sending unit,new battery new, fuel pump and a tune up. Ones i did that i got in an car and cranked the car over a few times and it fired right up! So now i am going to try and decide what i want to do next. Here are some pic of the car and tank and engine bay.
IMG_3021.JPG
IMG_2936.JPG
IMG_3021.JPG
IMG_2936.JPG
IMG_2913.JPG
IMG_0172.JPG
IMG_0142.JPG
IMG_0145.JPG
IMG_0149.JPG
IMG_0152.JPG
IMG_0154.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

Looks like a nice clean car ,welcome to Stangnet .

Yes I got vary lucky getting the car! Paid 6 grand for it and so far I can not find any rust on the car. Interior is really good just a few tear spots on the driver seat but every thing else is in really good condition. I need to replace the head liner and maybe the carpet and drive seat leather but after that going to be really clean on the in side!

Hey guys just a update. I took out my drivers side seat today and dropped it of to get redone! Excited to get it back. Also can any running Msd stuff on there stand? And would you recommend it? I have been thinking about it but not sure it's worth the money. Also just got my 4bbl in from eBay! Excited to rebuild it. It's a auto lite 4300. Got it only 20 buck do thought I try it. I am only running a 2bbl on it now so should be a good upgrade. All I need is a intake and I will only it up.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 185
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    108.9 KB · Views: 161
Hey Zstang,

Nice find!! I went the same way with my '65 coupe when it was still drivable: 4 bbl and headers make a big difference! Is that a 20 or 22 gal tank you put in?

I'd put in front torque boxes from a convertible, export brace and monte carlo bar, and maybe frame connectors. I've read that these guys were nicknamed "The Hinge" by racers in the '60s. ...and if your chassis is straight, you'll want to keep it that way! They'll make a big difference for handling, too.

Keep us posted!

Hey Zstang,

Nice find!! I went the same way with my '65 coupe when it was still drivable: 4 bbl and headers make a big difference! Is that a 20 or 22 gal tank you put in?

I'd put in front torque boxes from a convertible, export brace and monte carlo bar, and maybe frame connectors. I've read that these guys were nicknamed "The Hinge" by racers in the '60s. ...and if your chassis is straight, you'll want to keep it that way! They'll make a big difference for handling, too.

Keep us posted!

Hey mckallister
I put in a 22 gallon tank. Love it! It sits and 2" higher in my trunk but no big deal. Thanks for reading!! Will keep posting with updates.

Hey mckallister
I put in a 22 gallon tank. Love it! It sits and 2" higher in my trunk but no big deal. Thanks for reading!! Will keep posting with updates.

Does the tank sit below the sides trunk floor (over the frame rails)? I'm planning on putting a '71-73 trunk floor (it covers the fuel tank) in my '65, which are basically flat across the frame rails. Tank Armor kinda idea.

Thanks!

Alright guys I finally got my headers in!!! With having to fab them a little and jacked up the engine by taking the mounts out and the drivers side fit right in!! Now I have to fun rest of my 2 1/2 exhaust. Also install a drop down bracket for the power steering arm.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    548.3 KB · Views: 152
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    528.6 KB · Views: 135
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    325.3 KB · Views: 170
So got my exhaust finally done!!!! It may have been the hardest thing I ever did on a car. I fan hedman headers 1 5/8 out to a 3" collector to 2 1/2 h pipe to flowmaster 40 series. But had one heck of a time getting the h pipe to the header collector. Had to put in two custom pieces between the collector and H pipe. But all together now and sounds great!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    330.3 KB · Views: 123
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    402.2 KB · Views: 147
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    446 KB · Views: 164