'66 Wheels VWW/PSE/TTD

hivewax

Jan 1, 2006
Miami, FL
can anyone tell be anything about VWW Vintage 40's and 45's and/or PSE (Phil Schmidt Engineering) wheels... compared to American Racing TTD's??! i like the Torq Thrust look and am ready to purchase.

• Sponsors (?)

I have V45's in 16x8 (installed when I bought car). I painted them with Eastwoods Wheel Paint in Argent Silver, since the wheels are apparently unpainted from VWW. The stock center caps though were plastic and didn't look good being just too big. So I bought smaller billet caps on eBay specifically for these wheels. Also bought nice McGard lugnuts and locks. Tires are 225/50 front and 245/45 rear.

Pic of Wheels on my '66

I bought Vintage Wheel Works V45's back in '03. I've run them hard on the track and in autocross and they held up great. I had all 17x8's, but just recently received my new 17x9.5" wheels. The quality is still great . The centers are a natural unpolished aluminum finish and the rim is highly polished. Good luck with your choice.
Tom

wow, i like the look of them V45's. i'm assuming since the V40's & V45's are $$, they are of better quality than the AR TTD's. then, the PSE wheels are even more $$$. i like the V40's... will they clear disc brakes??

Planning

okay, i'm going to buy the WheelRite at this moment and pretty locked on V45's. 15x8" in the back and 15x7 in the front with all rolled fenders. i'm getting the WheelRite to see what's the widest wheels i can put in the front and rear. the front looks lower than other Mustangs i've seen, so it might of been dropped before i bought it.

what are the visual indicators of a drop... cut springs and ARNING DROP?

also, i have the stock disc brakes in the front. and, stock drums in the back with the 8" rear w/3.00:1 gear ratio. can i buy the wheels first and then think about rear disc brakes and 9" rear later on?

Look for an extra set of holes above the upper a-arms, that will show a Shelby drop was done. Cut springs might have a jagged edge on it. Aftermarket springs might be coated with a protect ant of some sort.

Yes on the rear. As long as you get a rearend the same dimensions as the 8". Disks won't change a thing.

IMHO, I think the wheels would look better in atleast a 16". That'll give you better handling and allow bigger brakes in the future.

thanks for the reply.

i was looking at the Baer at Street/Track and it states:

Baer rear rotors are approximately .300" thick at the mounting flange. To determine the increased track width (if any) with this kit subtract your drum flange thickness from .300". For instance, if your drum flange thickness measures .100", then this kit will move your wheels approximately .200" further out toward the outer fender each side of the car.

does that mean maybe the wheel needs more backspacing to clear the rotors or calipers? if not, then the wheel will stick out more and maybe hit the fender. and, what's small bearing versus big bearing rear-end? can a 8" rear interchange between the two?