71-73 body moldings?

Wootdog

Oct 6, 2005
After looking over this site as well as others. I notice that most if not all the 71-73s did not have moldings going down the body sides. The body shop advised me the moldings on the car are factory installed. Anyone know where I can get replacements? Most of the vendor catalogs I have seen make you dig until you might find it or them in the back of their catalogs. 71-73 must be the step children of the Mustang family.
Kerry

• Sponsors (?)

I don't know about the '71-2-3 Mustangs, but the little black "rub-strips" on my '73 Cougar XR-7 are purportedly factory; and they look (and install, apparently) exactly like the glue-on strips that my Dad bought from JC Whitney and stuck on his '71 LTD back when it was about 2-yrs-old - and I was 11! He was just looking for anything to keep other car doors from dinging his paint in parking lots; and it was just so "grained" rubber with thin chrome-plated potmetal strips. I distinctly remember the metal strips, because I sliced open the tip of my left idex finger helping him align them "pre-glue". My guitar teacher (Sister Maris Stella of the "Sisters of Perpetual Punishment") was unbelievably pi**ed that I couldn't hit most chords 'til it healed up!

Fast forward 24 years, and I was thinking about peeling the strips off the Coog, because on was lifting off and showing an obviously bad "re-glue" from some point in its life. Got only a little was before I found myself peeling wax, and a couple layers of paint along with the glue - I think that stuff had indeed been on the car forever; even through at least one obvious repaint.

If the Mustang trim is indeed the same; strat looking in parts houses for the 3/8" "Rub Strip"; You could probably find something that will be very close and will work; unless you're going concours.

OBTW: If you think 71-3 Stangs are the "red-headed step-children" when it comes to (especially) body parts; you've never had to searched for '71-3 Cougar parts. Other than "New Old $tock", there just aren't any :bang:

The trim pieces have clips that hold them on.....

IIRC the trim pieces were aluminum, so you at least be able to straighten/polish them if you can't find new pieces.
There were some little metal clips with a wire spring that held the trim on - the clips resemble a mouse with a tail.

Hey bigcat!

I know, it's :OT: but I have to ask:
You wouldn't happen to have any spare left quarter panels laying around, would you? I'm just looking for "wheelhous and down"; but all the way from the B-pillar to the rear extension. I can probably modify (stretch) a '73 Stang outer wheelhouse to fit; but making a Stang quarter look like it belongs on a Coog is waaaaa-aayyyyyy beyond my limited abilities! :bang:

I had the trim running down the body lines on my 73. I've taken them off and filled the holes where they once were attached with pop rivets.

should I install new ones (my old set got lost somewhere in the three moves I've made since I stripped them and the paint off my car.)?

I've never seen them for sell anywhere, but I have to figure that someone must still make something similar. I also managed somehow to lose one of the chrome rocker panels I had on the stang originally. I kinda want to put a set back on for protection, but I like the look with out them too. What should I do?

I think the chrome rockers (or maybe better in a "satin stainless") would look good with your paint, but maybe it's just :shrug:

The belt-line trim? Meh. (Some of my kids' friends are still teaching me "new" terms - I think "Meh" means "Well, if you think you just have to..... but I wouldn't!")
Maybe some of the skinny aluminum/rubber stuff just for parking lot door-strikes.....

OBTW: Love your new sig-line :nice: :flag: