Electrical 73 Mustang Turn Signal Switch Replacment

Discussion in 'Classic Mustang Specific Tech' started by jikelly, May 6, 2013.

1. jikelly

jikelly Advanced Member

I am finally getting back to work on my 73 mustang. The first thing I decided to repair was the turn signal switch. I thought it would be easy to change it out.

Pulled my steering wheel and it's right there 4 screws and it's free. Except, it's got this wiring harness that runs down the column, through a very tight space, with a connector to the main harness that you need the strength of Hercules to disconnect.

I wasted a lot of time before I dropped the steering column (slightly) and just cut the wires to the old harness so I could pull the connector out from behind all the extremely sharp dash mounting brackets out to where I could get my hands on it. I still had to use a screwdriver to pry apart the two sides of the connector. That was a total pain. It's as if that part was never supposed to ever be replaced. ;)

I'll post pictures and the step by step later this week once I have everything back together.

2. jikelly

jikelly Advanced Member

Turned out that the new harness was 3 inches shorter than the old one. Those missing 3 inches make a huge difference. There is no way I can connect this new switch to the harness without modification. So, I am going to have to reuse the old wires to allow me to lengthen one side of the harness or the other. Yeah!!

3. woodsnake

woodsnake Active Member

Do you have a tilt column by chance?