77 cobra II

john walker

Feb 8, 2012
Hello everyone, my son and I are rebuilding a 77 cobra ii currently. We purchased this car a few years ago from a family member who was the original owner. The car sat garaged for the past 15-20 years. One day as we stopped by to visit I noticed the car in the garage and the rest is becoming history. Like i said earlier we bought the car a few years ago and it has sat basically untouched while i finished up on other projects. Since my son will be getting his driving permit soon the heat has been turned on and now we are starting on the car. Over the past 2 years I have randomly searched for parts with minimal luck. Recently I was able to score an original king cobra front valance for only $35.00, it was quite a still I thought. The drivers side peice of the valance needs some repair, it has a large hole worn into the corner. I did manage to find just the drivers side peice on ebay but it is listed for $399.00. Does anyone have any ideas on how to repair this peice? it is the original rubber material. The middle of the valance sags quite a bit but i beleive i will be able to straighten this out by attaching a peice of aluminum plate to the bottom side of the valance, the passenger side is fine. I also need to research what type of paint i could use for this. The valance is rather flimsy. OK, so now onto the rebuild. We have been slowly fixing body panels and for the most part the body is straight just a little finish work and some more sanding before paint. We are now moving to the drive train. We started late yesterday getting the motor ready to pull and 2 hours later i beleive it is ready to come out. only hold up now is waiting for my brother n law to bring my cherry picker back. Any suggestions on things to look out for when pulling the motor? The plan is to leave the tranny in the car for now. We managed to get the tranny bolts all out although they were a pain in the a$$. Well i normally dont ramble on this long but i figured it may gauge some interest by catching everyone up to date as too where we stand on this project.

• Sponsors (?)

(The drivers side peice of the valance needs some repair, it has a large hole worn into the corner. Does anyone have any ideas on how to repair this peice? it is the original rubber material.)
Take this to a body shop and ask. Or to an auto paint supplier and ask what to use.

(Any suggestions on things to look out for when pulling the motor? The plan is to leave the tranny in the car for now.)
When I pulled my motor I removed the radiator and exhaust manifolds. Remove all the pulleys off the front of the engine. Pulled the motor and tranny together. It went out and in easy.

Welcome to the site. As LILCBRA said, we do like pictures. :)

Good luck on the rebuild, mustang11 are not the real easy to work on. I'm doing a 78 model. I've painted it highland green like my 01 Bullitt. May post pictures if I can figure out how