Build Thread '83 T-top Coupe - Welding Holes in My Rear

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started on the lower rear seat today. I got the cover off, that was pretty easy. There are about 25 hog rings around the perimeter, none in the center areas like the front seats.

So the cover is in the washing machine right now.

I wanted to seperate the foam from the frame, but it is made inside the foam. Got to rethink my cleaning idea for the cushion.....:chin Maybe the suggested bag, Lysol, and vacuum trick.

At least I know why now you can't buy the rear seat foam.

Attachments

• IMG_2202.JPG
    IMG_2202.JPG
    846.6 KB · Views: 164
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    687.5 KB · Views: 172
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Alright, i couldn't stand it. I started thinking about what could have sat in that rear seat, drunk adults, sloppy kids, dogs with bladder control problems, space aliens dripping ectoplasm.

I filled the tub up about a foot deep with cool water, threw in a heaping capful of liquid laundry detergent, about a cup of bleach and then i tossed that offensive cushion in there too.

I went to town! I mashed, squished, squashed, stomped and squeezed all of that offensive stuff out of it.

I drained the tub, refilled a couple more times and rinsed it out.

All of that was the easy part. Did you know that cushion goes from weighing about ten pounds when dry to a good fifty when wet?

I spent the next half our squishing out as much water as i could. My arms are really tired now.

I've set the cushion in the garage up on one end that is resting on a five gallon bucket. I put an old fan at it's base blowing up and across it. I'll go out there in a couple hours and squish the water that travels down the cushion, and probably a couple hours after that too.

It sure smells nice now though:nice:.

The cover is just about through it's first wash. It'll get at least one more.

The bright side is, I only have the back rest cushion to do now. I have new cushions for the front seats.:banana:
IMG_2203.JPG

Reactions: 3 users
I tore down the seat back this morning, about fourty staples, four hog rings and contact glue holding the fiberboard backing to the foam.

The foam is soaking in the tub right now, and the cover is tumbling away in the washing machine.

The bottom foam is almost dry already, i'll keep the fan blowing across it for awhile though
IMG_2206.JPG
IMG_2207.JPG
IMG_2208.JPG

Reactions: 4 users
He likes it too much, :notnice: Too easy, must be "earned". lol

Getting warmer though. hehehe

Your only part in this mister, is to be butt hurt (just a tad) when one sticks to you. hahaha
Hey, he could be like me and just want one to fit in at this point. Jus' sayin. Though the irony of mine being "I've never done anything CT worthy!" was hilarious.

He likes it too much, :notnice: Too easy, must be "earned". lol

Getting warmer though. hehehe

Your only part in this mister, is to be butt hurt (just a tad) when one sticks to you. hahaha

I don't like it. It don't fit, not what I want.
Wait, what were we talking about?
I'm confused AGAIN!

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.