Build Thread '83 T-top Coupe - Welding Holes in My Rear

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

There are just so many small chips that I decided to primer the whole bumper first or I would be wiping the entire top surface with the polyflex.

I used a plastic adhesion promoter first and then put four coats of primer on it.

I'll sand this smooth first and see how many gouges are left to be filled. It'll be a quicker repair this way.
image.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
I sanded a little just to see how much the primer has filled, turned out it did quite a bit.
image.jpeg

I'll have a little to fill here and there. This won't be some phenom bumper when done. Things like the tag reinforcements and the such cause the bumper to be a bit wavy. If I remember rightly, they were like that when they were new.

Reactions: 2 users
Ok, I've sweet talked my jobber into giving me a whole quart of mystichrome black.

I want to use this as my trim color over the black (dark grey really) usually on the trim. Then I will spray a semi-gloss clear over it to give it a different look.

What do y'all think of this idea? I think it might be pretty cool looking.

Reactions: 1 users
Sounds like it would look really cool. I definitely vote to try it! Besides if it doesn't look quite right to you...you're no stranger to the required repaint lol(not meaning you have to spend any time repainting anything already :p)

Reactions: 1 user
It's the black on the '03-'04 Cobras.

The flop has four different colors to it, a gold, blue, purple and red.

Paint code of G6.
I'm aware of mystichrome. Just had never heard of it referred to as a black. I'd have called it a blue or a green. :shrug:
I'm not sure how it would fit with the kona blue, but interested to see your plan

I'm aware of mystichrome. Just had never heard of it referred to as a black. I'd have called it a blue or a green. :shrug:
I'm not sure how it would fit with the kona blue, but interested to see your plan
The black reference comes from needing to shoot a ground layer of black before spraying the relatively transparent top layer.

The main layer does have a bit of black in it too.

It could be sprayed over other colors as well, i guess, the black that is in the main layer would dull out most other colors though.

Reactions: 1 user
Paint the whole thing in mystic black
Honestly, that would look very cool to me. Just trying to convince my jobber to give me an extra $1200 in paint might be challenging. I'm not really sure what it cost now for the color. When it came out originally, we had to pay $300 a pint and had to return any we didn't use on the job.

Crazy, huh?

It's easy to shoot though, just like any other pearl.

Thats a good deal, the tires were probably at least $300.

And just sayin... i think you probably know a guy that could paint those wheels silver (or any other color lol) pretty easily.

I'm not a big fan of ponys at all. But $300? I could deal with them. Maybe strip them down first.

Mystichrome on the wheels? The paint would cost more than the wheels!

I offered him $250, I can't help it. My grandpa would be disappointed in me if I didn't try. He would talk down prices at Walmart, and they would give him the discount too!

Status
Not open for further replies.