'86 coupe questions

undercnstrction

Nov 10, 2009
i started another similar post but i'll make this one a bit more specific......

i'm trying to get in touch with a guy that is selling an '86 coupe v6 with a jacked up trans. how different is that suspension than what would be in my '87 GT? did '86s have quad shocks? would i need to come up with all my own mounting pionts when i start to modify the suspension (lowering springs, upper/lower CAs, considering coilovers, etc etc). i guess what i'm getting at, which one would be more "user friendly" to modify? i've been looking at pics of coupes for the last several hours and the extra effort (if indeed there are any) might just be worth it.

• Sponsors (?)

'84 1/2 and later V8 / Turbo 4 Mustangs will have quad shocks.

All of the suspension parts will interchange with the '87.

The '87 will have bigger stock brakes.

Like he said, the '86 has the same suspension setup as the newer cars. The only big difference is that the '86 V8 cars have the '87+ "4 cylinder" brakes. But that means jack diddly if you plan on a 5 lug swap.

Other than that, the '86 has true dual exhaust like the newer cars, SEFI like the newer cars (speed density), T5 manual tranny like the newer cars, etc. There ARE litte quirks, like sheetmetal shaped differently in some areas, but nothing major.

first off, thanx for the info! that's what i was hoping you would say. so i should be able to "build" a 4-eye the same as i would an aero car. that could make the decsion a bit easier if i decide to go the coupe route.

if i get time, i'll call maximum motorsports today. i will probably go with a number of their pieces but they have it broken down from 87-89, then
90-93. any idea why that is? i wasn't aware of any suspension changes during those years.