89 Police interceptor package

ZaC851

Founding Member
May 23, 2002
Birmingham, AL
My buddy is looking at buying one for 4500 dollars with 138k miles. He called me just a little while ago and asked me what was the difference between a regular old notch back and the police interceptor package. The only thing I could find was the PI has 160mph gauges.

What is the difference?

• Sponsors (?)

My buddy is looking at buying one for 4500 dollars with 138k miles. He called me just a little while ago and asked me what was the difference between a regular old notch back and the police interceptor package. The only thing I could find was the PI has 160mph gauges.

What is the difference?

This should answer all the questions your buddy may need to know: http://www.sspmustang.org/technical/DSO_data.htm

I can't imagine that the SSP has anything on it to justify that high of a price for it, unless it had about half that many miles on the clock. I wouldn't give more than $3,500, honestly, because that thing's surely been beat to death when it was being used by the po-po...

What is the difference?

Those police interceptors are pretty cool cars.They came with quite a few beefed up components in them. Those police cars are starting to become sought after.There's a few guys we know of in the industry that have quite a few of these things getting restored back into cruisers.

There's a few up this way that show up to the shows.If you find a good deal on one hop on it.They make great cars for blower applications,due to beefier cooling systems.:nice:

standard equipment..
relocated remote decklid release button
engine oil cooler
special low drag calibrated fan clutch
extrenal aod fluid cooler
heater hose restictor
single key locks
special reinforced reclining front bucket seats
floorpan reinforcements
deleted underhood sound pad/no hood light
calibrated 160 speedo
black painted aluminum wheels 215/65-15
coventional spare tire and full size aluminum wheel

optional equiptment..

silicone-rubber hoses
deleted paint stripes
VASCAR 2 piece speedo cable
spare tire cover board
radio noise-suppression package
135 lestek amp 87-91
130 amp motorcraft 92-
inoperative courtsey lamp switches
deleted door mouldings

mid 92 they recieved new upper control arms identified with the light-blue paint mark on them. ould be more but that's all I have.

:flag:

standard equipment..
relocated remote decklid release button
engine oil cooler
special low drag calibrated fan clutch
extrenal aod fluid cooler
heater hose restictor
single key locks
special reinforced reclining front bucket seats
floorpan reinforcements
deleted underhood sound pad/no hood light
calibrated 160 speedo
black painted aluminum wheels 215/65-15
coventional spare tire and full size aluminum wheel

optional equiptment..

silicone-rubber hoses
deleted paint stripes
VASCAR 2 piece speedo cable
spare tire cover board
radio noise-suppression package
135 lestek amp 87-91
130 amp motorcraft 92-
inoperative courtsey lamp switches
deleted door mouldings

mid 92 they recieved new upper control arms identified with the light-blue paint mark on them. ould be more but that's all I have.

:flag:

Still doesn't sound like much more worth having over a regular notch, nor to justify a higher price. The majority of those things can be done for little or nothing to any Fox, as most of them are just "delete" items. All you're really looking at in an SSP is a notch with a different speedo, a 3G alt, Goodyear hi-miler hoses (maybe), extra tranny/oil coolers, and one less key to have on your keychain - maybe $500 worth of goodies, if one were to do it, themselves. :shrug: So, again, you're paying a premium price for a notch with a handful of piddly upgrades which has surely been flogged on a daily basis ... and if it's an AOD on top of that, then you'll have a notch that's been abused AND is slow, to boot.

I can see maybe paying more for a Crown Victoria or Caprice Police Interceptor, because there is a LOT more equipment upgrades on those over a standard civvie Crown Vic or Caprice (basically a low-bucks Impala without the monochromatic trim and big rims). The '99+ P71 Crown Vics, for example, have an aluminum matrix driveshaft, no top-speed limiter (they top out close to 140 MPH), bigger sway bars, stiffer springs, better shocks, slightly higher idle speed, bigger alternator, better rear gears (3.27's mostly, rather than 2.73's or 3.08's ... although I think they put 3.55's in there for a year or two), bucket seats (usually), and all the factory recalls (for intake problems and such) already taken care of 90% of the time. Plus, the spotlight, deactivated inner door handles, and prisoner barrier can make for additional fun. :D

But paying an extra $1,000 or so for a ragged-out notch with piddly, tepid OEM extas and a bunch of deletes ... meh. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

That's not to say I wouldn't snap one up right now if given the chance, though ... simply because all Fox notches, SSP or otherwise, are damned beautiful beasts. :drool: I just wouldn't be willing to pay more for an SSP over an LX notch, that's all. If anything, they should be selling 'em cheaper due to their history.

If you do pick one up, make sure you pull the rear seat out and clean the hell out of it. Prisoners like to stuff things like drugs n' such under the cushion while they're back there, and sometimes that part gets overlooked when the po-po sells 'em off. I found business cards, paperclips, and two live 9mm bullets under the back seat of the '94 CVPI that I used to have after I bought it, but fortunately, no little baggies of mysterious white powders or crystalline substances. :D