92 LX...problems

ok... i bought this 92 LX for like $800... i knew that the guy who had it before me ran it hot. well the car will barely start, and when it does it acts like it's out of time, but everything is timed correctly. anyone have any ideas? BTW it is an 8 plug head, what about the crank position sensor? how do you test them to see if they are functioning. i am absolutely lost with this car. No oil in water, or water in oil... so the head gasket is ok.. well at least i think! :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

try doing a full tuneup on the car. Like fuel fliter , air filter , new plugs , wires , and coil packs ( the same 4.6L coil packs will work ). Check to see if the cat is clogged ( after running , it will get red hot ). Might also be a stopped up fuel filter ( a cheap easy fix ). Try those things first to see if they are the problem. :shrug:

If it's been run hot, check compression. Just because its not making milkshakes in the crank case or radiator doesn't necessarily mean the head gasket is OK. It could be popped between two cylinders. If the gasket is bad, you'll find low or no compression on two adjacent holes.

thanks guys... i got her running, well sort of... she'll at least start and run, although very poorly. still bucking and carrying on, but the problem was the firing order. the genius that had the car before me really screwed things up. anyway, i think i may have a fouled plug or two, and not to mention that it's throwing codes... now all i need is a scanner to pull em up. I wish my Predator word work on ODB-I vehicles!!!! :bang:

Make sure the firing order is correct for BOTH coil packs. 1-3-4-2
Looking at the coil packs from the pass. fender, # 1 is upper left, towards you is #3, to its right is #4 and upper right is #2.

A semi-diagram if you are standing at the front of the car:
3 1
2 4
---
4 2
1 3.

If you get a check engine light, look into the KOEO and KOER tests and you can get the codes that way, then look at the trouble codes from a list, which can be found in the repair guide for 1989-1993, google, or just goto www.autozone.com select your vehicle and look at the repair guide. The engine codes can be found in the Emissions Control section.

TMX, where did you get your coil pack diagram? Mine shows the following (using your perspective).

1 3
2 4
---
1 3
2 4
Also, the primary coil pack is the one closest to the firewall. The secondary is closest to the front of the car. I did check my 93 and yours is the correct diagram. I'll have to correct my book.

I have a 92lx that l have driven for 6 yrs, l change the plug wires every year and this is the firing order on my 4 banger is looking at from the front of the car:

2 1 REAR
3 4
-----
4 3 FRONT
1 2

mine is different from BOTH of yours :shrug:

Apparently Autozone can't figure it out either since they have 3 different orders in the same diagram! I think they might all be correct, however, since the 2.3 fires in pairs. 1 & 4 fire together and 2 & 3 fire together.

Does anyone know for sure?
This is the way my wife's 93 was
Back
----------
3 1
2 4
---------

4 2
1 3
---------
Front

I changed it to

--------
2 1
3 4
---------

4 3
1 2
-------

It seems to run better but I've been playing with it so much I'm not sure.
This is on a '93 LX. 2.3....... 8 plugs.

I had bad loss of power. Changed the coil packs, control module and the throttle position sensor and replaced the catalytic converters. They all helped but changing this spark plug order seems to halp also.
Just want to make sure though. Thanks