92 Mustang LX Rear question

Ok. I'm having 3.73 gears installed in my 5.0 92 LX sometime next week. I got to talking with someone about it and he told me that 5.0 GTs came with a full posi-rear but 5.0 LXs only had that traction lock pegleg setup (where the one wheel spins, but the other wheel will eventually kick in if needed). Is this true? I have been reading a lot about 5.0's since I bought mine a few years ago and I never heard of that. I was always under the impression that they all had the pegleg setup. If he is right, can I add the parts to mine to make it like the GT? I might as well have them do it while they are taking crap apart in my rear anyway. Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Non came with full posi, trak Loc was it, only difference was you could get the performance gear set which took you from a 2:73 to a 3:08 that was it . 4 cyl had a 7.7 rear and the v8 had an 8.8rear , no difference in GT or LX rears.

trac lok...make sure you have the friction modifier added....3:73 woke up my 92 GT big time, I bought the car new and out of everything I did, the gears made it feel like it had 50HP extra...:nice:

I shouldn't have a problem. I'm having them installed by Kasper's Korner in southern New Jersey. They specialize in Mustangs (especially 5.0's I believe). My buddy had them throw 3:73's in his 4.6 and they did a terrific job. Going to cost me $575 for parts and labor. I could probably get it cheaper somewhere else, but I want it done by someone who knows what they are doing.

I was just saying to run your axle code to make sure your car doesn't already have 3.73 or perhaps 3.55 gears in it. I'm sure you can tell by what rpm you are turning at certain speeds. Just would be silly to rip it apart if it didn't need to be. I'm sure whoever bought the car originally would have had to special order a 3.73 rear gear.

I'm 99% positive that the gear ratio is stock in the car. When I bought it there was nothing upgraded at all. It still had the stock air box and all that crap in the fender. There is always the possibility that someone had it done from the factory though.