93 Ranger help

Discussion in 'Other Auto Tech' started by mustangman33, Sep 11, 2009.

1. mustangman33

mustangman33 Member

A buddy of mines has a 93 ranger, auto with 3.0 motor. It starts up without issues but once we put it in gear it shuts down. A trans guy told us that it is the torque convertor. Can this be true or would it be a sensor. It doesn't kick off a check engine light or anything, any suggestions?
  2. BK_CAULEY

BK_CAULEY it's built for speed not longevity, woman

wrong section but yes it could be the torque convertor is locking to soon and causing it to stall.
  3. faststang90

faststang90 Member

jack it up and install it on jack stands fire it up and then put it in gear with the back wheels off the ground and see if it stays running
  4. Darkwriter77

Darkwriter77 Resident Ranting Negative Nancy

Unless the aforementioned '93 Ranger has a 5.0 swapped into it, I have no clue why you posted this in 5.0 Tech. :crazy: Just for future reference, there's an "Other Auto Tech" forum on Stangnet that you may wish to try. Mods will probably move this thread there shortly.

Any chance it could be some other issue not related to the transmission? Not getting enough fuel when placed under a load, perhaps? :shrug:
  5. mustangman33

mustangman33 Member

Thanks for the help guys. Its been awhile since I've been on here and I didn't know about the new section. Its getting good fuel so I don't believe thats the issue. I'm wondering if it could be a sensor like possibly the TPS.
  6. lincoln+ford

lincoln+ford Member

So did you try it with the rear off the ground like ppl said?
  7. mustangman33

mustangman33 Member

I put it up on jack stands and put it gear, still shut down. Is there any sensors that would make this happen. Like the TPS or O2 sensors?