94-95 Tall Valve Covers w/EFI Setup

331_mustang

Aug 1, 2005
Anyone succesfully using a tall valve cover setup with EFI? if so, whose valve covers are you using?

I need additional height to clear a stud girdle, but worry that it won't fit under the Holley Systemax manifold. Not as concerned about the usual breather/throttle body clearance issue, although open to hearing about any solutions out there when using a tall set up, but right now just looking for the name of a manufacturer that someone is using and fits underneath the intake.

Also, I realize I'm bound to hear from some of you using 1" intake spacers, so if you are using one, and that was your solution to the clearance issue, what hood are you running? I have a 98 cobra hood. It does have some additional room in the center over the stock GT hood, but I don't know if the area will accomodate a 1" spacer without modifying (pronounced: cutting up) the underside of the hood.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Pics?

:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Yea...

Humm... I just don't know if I have the room under the hood for that, and I'd really hate to get a new hood ($$). Part of the problem is the engine is out of the car, and I didn't measure my hood clearance before I took it out. The room may be there, but I just don't know.

my eddy RPM2 manifolds fits under the stocker hood, barely, it does hit in one spot but can be fixed very easy. i also have 2 washers under the motor mounts, so without those i doubt it would hit. i have regular size VC's its the eddy chromes. fits, but not my much. i have magnum 1.6 rockers.

I use the AFM polished covers and they clear my comp magnum 1.6s and they just cleared the EGR tab on the Holley. BTW I dont use a spacer for the Holley. The oil fill tube is a tight fit with the AFM valve covers, but It still works.

View attachment 374445

95opal - Thanks for the pics man and info! Very helpful. Now you've opened up a few others.

We have nearly an identical set up (see below).

1. Whose strut tower brace are you using? and which model? I've tried half a dozen different ones with no luck. They all hit some where either on my Holley intake, the throttle body, or the AFM power pipe. I have a vert, so I REALLY notice that I no longer have the added strength.

2. Speaking of power pipes, is that the rubber reducer (where the 3" pipe meets the the throttle body) that came with you power pipe? Mine came with a different one, which is much bulkier. Due to the size it causes me even more trouble with the oil fill and strut tower brace.

Attachments

• Engine in car Compressed.jpg
    Engine in car Compressed.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 507
i have stock height chrome valve covers from holley, and they clear my comp pro magnum (1.6) rockers. but i also have afr 205s and i don't know if the height of the ridge the valve covers sit on is a factor in that or not.

95opal - Thanks for the pics man and info! Very helpful. Now you've opened up a few others.

We have nearly an identical set up (see below).

1. Whose strut tower brace are you using? and which model? I've tried half a dozen different ones with no luck. They all hit some where either on my Holley intake, the throttle body, or the AFM power pipe. I have a vert, so I REALLY notice that I no longer have the added strength.

2. Speaking of power pipes, is that the rubber reducer (where the 3" pipe meets the the throttle body) that came with you power pipe? Mine came with a different one, which is much bulkier. Due to the size it causes me even more trouble with the oil fill and strut tower brace.

I am using the Steeda STB.
I dont have the power pipe. I made my own with 4' tubing. Its a straight shot no bends. The fender apron was cut and modified so I could get my 95mm MAF inside the fender. The reducer for the throttle body was picked up at a local speed shop, its silicone and fairly thin so I just have enough room. You can get the reducers online or any local speed shop.