SN95 95 Auto V6 To Manual Obd2 5.0 Complete

DieselDan

Jun 23, 2015
Hey guys,
I don't get on here much, but I wanted to take an opportunity to share the swap I did on my Mustang. This swap took about 6 months to come to fruition, but only 3 days to do the swap.

So here is the story...
I had bought a 1995 Auto with the intention of dropping a v8 into it, but had originally intended on doing a Mark VIII swap. Since my previous car was a Mark VIII, I decided to try something different. All the GT sn95s on CL and mostly anywhere are overpriced in my opinion and finding the parts to do the swap seemed too hard too.

I decided, why not just take everything out of an Explorer? That's what I did, I pulled a 1996 5.0 engine from the Upullandpay near me. I grabbed the Computer/Harness/Engine. Decent motor but it had some very minor cylinder scoring and the bearings needed replaced, so I took it all apart and rebuilt the motor. New rings/bearings for the long block. I also installed a TFS stage one Cam, along with their upgraded valve spring kit. I picked up a 2002 T-5 from a v6 car in the junk yard. It has the electronic VSS, and I used a Dakota Digital SGI-5 to make it communicate the proper signal to my PCM. Also bolted on a set of MAC shorty headers and an H-pipe with dumps. I also want to add that I picked up a 5.0 bellhousing for $50 by some true luck.

So, running this setup would take A LOT of rewiring, but that's my favorite part. I worked for Ford for 5 years and still have access to the Ford wiring diagrams, that was the biggest help of all, and without that, this never would have happened. None of the online diagrams are complete enough to do this swap.

Now, this swap is more easily done for the v6 guys, because the car is already wired to be OBD2. I also kept all of the wires in the harness incase one day I decided I wanted to go back to an Auto transmission. The Explorer harness can pretty much be left alone, except the transmission harness had to be made to work on the T-5, since the 5.0 Explorer in that body never came with a Manual transmission. After that, I got the pig tail from a V6 mustang in the junkyard for the engine harness and mated that onto the Explorer engine harness so that I could connect it to the Mustang's body harness. Lastly, the Ignition control module was removed, and 3 of the circuits were jumped via a jumper connector I made under the air box. I also have a excel table showing which PCM pins either needed to be removed/moved/or repurposed at the PCM connector.

By the way, I have all of the harness modifications documented in my binder I have here. I plan to upload all of it, but can't here on the work computer.

Car fired up first try, although now I just have some very minor issues to sort out. One being that the Explorer PCM never had a provision for the Electric Fan. Also, an interesting issue is the A/C wiring. The V6 location of the A/C coil is on the passenger side of the engine, while the V8 wires that route to the driver side are in the harness, you just need to join them.
You still need to do the sn95 elbow or a fox air intake setup, as the Explorer throttle linkage won't work. I have full use of the cruise control and A/C. Also, all of the gauges work with the Explorer harness.

Some bugs are dealing with the auto computer in a manual car, other threads discuss that kind of stuff, but I plan to program it out in the future. And, I purchased a Dakota Digital controller to work the fans, using the factory sender and wiring.

Ultimately, its an OBD 2 5.0 1995 Mustang, something the factory never ever made. And, I got to use the coil assemblies, and not a distributor.

I also want to make clear, the body harness and dash harness stuff is all factory v6, the only modifications to the car were moving around pins at the PCM connector.
And if you are wondering, I needed to repurpose some of the other circuits to make room for things like #7/#8 injectors and coil. I just deleted the rear O2 sensors, and reused their circuits to make the injectors and coils work.

The engine looks completely factory, there is not one single wire there that shouldn't be. I wanted it to look like it was built that way, and can't stand when people fish extra wires through the engine compartment. Anyway, if there is interest in this swap, i'll throw up more information.
Thanks Guys!

• Sponsors (?)

I wanted to do this with a New Edge car and a 408W with coil on plug type stuff.. Never panned out. Turns out I don't have time for simple projects..

Hey guys,
I don't get on here much, but I wanted to take an opportunity to share the swap I did on my Mustang. This swap took about 6 months to come to fruition, but only 3 days to do the swap.

So here is the story...
I had bought a 1995 Auto with the intention of dropping a v8 into it, but had originally intended on doing a Mark VIII swap. Since my previous car was a Mark VIII, I decided to try something different. All the GT sn95s on CL and mostly anywhere are overpriced in my opinion and finding the parts to do the swap seemed too hard too.

I decided, why not just take everything out of an Explorer? That's what I did, I pulled a 1996 5.0 engine from the Upullandpay near me. I grabbed the Computer/Harness/Engine. Decent motor but it had some very minor cylinder scoring and the bearings needed replaced, so I took it all apart and rebuilt the motor. New rings/bearings for the long block. I also installed a TFS stage one Cam, along with their upgraded valve spring kit. I picked up a 2002 T-5 from a v6 car in the junk yard. It has the electronic VSS, and I used a Dakota Digital SGI-5 to make it communicate the proper signal to my PCM. Also bolted on a set of MAC shorty headers and an H-pipe with dumps. I also want to add that I picked up a 5.0 bellhousing for $50 by some true luck.

So, running this setup would take A LOT of rewiring, but that's my favorite part. I worked for Ford for 5 years and still have access to the Ford wiring diagrams, that was the biggest help of all, and without that, this never would have happened. None of the online diagrams are complete enough to do this swap.

Now, this swap is more easily done for the v6 guys, because the car is already wired to be OBD2. I also kept all of the wires in the harness incase one day I decided I wanted to go back to an Auto transmission. The Explorer harness can pretty much be left alone, except the transmission harness had to be made to work on the T-5, since the 5.0 Explorer in that body never came with a Manual transmission. After that, I got the pig tail from a V6 mustang in the junkyard for the engine harness and mated that onto the Explorer engine harness so that I could connect it to the Mustang's body harness. Lastly, the Ignition control module was removed, and 3 of the circuits were jumped via a jumper connector I made under the air box. I also have a excel table showing which PCM pins either needed to be removed/moved/or repurposed at the PCM connector.

By the way, I have all of the harness modifications documented in my binder I have here. I plan to upload all of it, but can't here on the work computer.

Car fired up first try, although now I just have some very minor issues to sort out. One being that the Explorer PCM never had a provision for the Electric Fan. Also, an interesting issue is the A/C wiring. The V6 location of the A/C coil is on the passenger side of the engine, while the V8 wires that route to the driver side are in the harness, you just need to join them.
You still need to do the sn95 elbow or a fox air intake setup, as the Explorer throttle linkage won't work. I have full use of the cruise control and A/C. Also, all of the gauges work with the Explorer harness.

Some bugs are dealing with the auto computer in a manual car, other threads discuss that kind of stuff, but I plan to program it out in the future. And, I purchased a Dakota Digital controller to work the fans, using the factory sender and wiring.

Ultimately, its an OBD 2 5.0 1995 Mustang, something the factory never ever made. And, I got to use the coil assemblies, and not a distributor.

I also want to make clear, the body harness and dash harness stuff is all factory v6, the only modifications to the car were moving around pins at the PCM connector.
And if you are wondering, I needed to repurpose some of the other circuits to make room for things like #7/#8 injectors and coil. I just deleted the rear O2 sensors, and reused their circuits to make the injectors and coils work.

The engine looks completely factory, there is not one single wire there that shouldn't be. I wanted it to look like it was built that way, and can't stand when people fish extra wires through the engine compartment. Anyway, if there is interest in this swap, i'll throw up more information.
Thanks Guys!
I'm definitely interested in seeing some pictures of this.

I wanted to do this with a New Edge car and a 408W with coil on plug type stuff.. Never panned out. Turns out I don't have time for simple projects..
I see what you did there.

Reactions: 1 user
Alright, so it all began with a 1996 Donor from an Explorer from the JY. I will get more in depth as I go, but here is just a whole bunch of pictures!
002_zpsgw75f3pk.jpg
005_zpsducm9szp.jpg
007_zpsg9kyhvmv.jpg
008_zpsfia5p0cv.jpg
I couldn't find anyone to go with me to give me a hand, so I just did it myself. Shoved it into the back of my Wife's explorer.
009_zpsogukc95v.jpg

Took the thing home and began dis-assembly. Notice that the Explorer uses an engine driven fan, this is something I will have to overcome later, (as of writing this it is taken care of) but the PCM will not operate the Mustang's electric fans.

The engine was in pretty good shape, judging by the cross hatching on the cylinder walls, but I did end up honing the cylinders. More pictures of that to follow...

3 Bar - GT40 heads. I did not want to deal with the spark plug issues on the P heads.

The Front cover fought like hell to come off... The studs were seized to the timing cover. After drilling them out, I vowed to use better fasteners going back together so that I wouldn't have to potentially deal with this in the future. I found an online seller that sells ARP fasteners individually, so I made up a kit to replace all of the front fasteners with black oxide, 12-point (I just like the way they look).

PARTS FROM SUMMIT! -- Some of many more to come.

This pickup came with the Ford Racing oil pan swap kit that comes with the double hump pan, pickup and dipstick tube.

Ford Racing double roller timing chain set bolted to a TFS stage 1 Cam. Cam timing was set at 0*.

ARP Head Studs.

This is out of order, but difficult to sort through all of these photos...

I was going to repaint the block and whatnot and pretty much stab it in the car, but it did need rings and bearings.
055_zpsp7l01lb6.jpg
This came out easily with the hone, does anyone know what that looks like may have caused this? My thoughts were at some point water sat in that cylinder, given that it is not perpendicular to the piston.

066_zpshv4h7tiz.jpg

056_zpss8uagnqd.jpg

I replaced the Main and Rod bearings with Clevite parts. The rods got 270* groove bearings. The pistons got Mahle moly rings. I broke one ring during assembly and had to buy a whole new set. /lame

Here is a shot of the motor mostly assembled. Engine got a Ford Racing Cast Iron flywheel and an Exedy 400HP clutch. I also opted for a set of aluminum Fox valve covers, I've always liked the look of them.

I need to go into the details of the wiring, but for now I will throw the pictures up here. I modified the harness to work with the T5 and made it to connect to the Mustang's body harness without modifying the Body harness.

0AC1F44C-636F-44DB-9CB9-FBC4E943E09B_zpsf3kvjhne.jpg
EE8CA0A6-9473-4845-8354-09713311554E_zpsmlrmro9a.jpg
956958B3-8EAF-48F5-B713-FA2D5C73122C_zpsaeft4jg5.jpg
A5AAB658-AA47-48ED-B8C8-2256DC4457E7_zps19dovwfj.jpg
8A75BC44-1D86-438C-8127-1F3A22D66EC3_zps9kfkkm16.jpg
097FF19E-136F-4EEC-B5A3-2226734EA3CA_zpsyffkilpp.jpg
8BEE2AEC-85EA-49A3-A255-C439E82468B6_zps9fgx7qmh.jpg
78988446-1434-4B61-968F-6B8C95A0B094_zpscujakkbl.jpg

AFF29E64-AB32-40F6-97A8-2599665BD434_zpslxyi9uns.jpg
Harness jumper at former Ignition Module location.

D9A14426-3ED1-40FC-9BBB-10B5F2957FA6_zpsg4oqa771.jpg
PCM connector pin location was modified. Some things were removed/repurposed/moved to a new location.

1BF07ACE-1B39-40D8-86CD-BF6308753721_zpsyxiaswwz.jpg

And the Swap -- I decided to do it this way after spending so much time previous to this on Mark VIIIs, this way was easier when swapping an entire drive train.

5E2E6A5C-F813-4023-8E52-3B2370ADD924_zpsegfo2nqq.jpg

CC0FFF38-9753-4DFF-AE43-7C1EB5E5EB1E_zpsaj0nf973.jpg

5FA48B83-B145-4D05-BE1D-607F851E698B_zps19rjqnfh.jpg

CD4DDAEC-8A8B-4AC6-9DE7-39885B8DAB6B_zps14jdxeby.jpg

665DC3DA-0FB2-4F65-8FB1-EBE3320B1AAB_zpsazzixaz7.jpg

AB0519AA-1C7D-4BA0-BECB-BFDD6A1308B8_zps4mdduco8.jpg

ADF47AE2-5DAE-48E3-AC2D-50B9F11E647C_zpsuue2k2co.jpg

B3EA9C62-B71F-4A36-94A3-5354FACB7370_zpsf6mej124.jpg

05B1FF68-FDAB-4060-9F74-D9D28A27832F_zpsspxck1cy.jpg

1C565970-8D10-4170-85F1-90EDAE8BFF60_zps4uzlcjkd.jpg

1C565970-8D10-4170-85F1-90EDAE8BFF60_zps4uzlcjkd.jpg

94034FFD-6F4F-4EE0-A35D-97B3D7D27169_zpslgkpdcua.jpg

First Start!

Car currently has:
3:73 Gears w/ 8.8 rear end.
Dakota Digital speedometer calibrator -- Needed due to 2001+ T5 has a magnetic style VSS pickup, rather than gear driven style.
MAC shorties - H-Pipe - Magnaflow mufflers with Dumps
TFS Stage 1 Cam with TFS valve spring kit
Pro 5.0 Shifter
Poly trans mount - Solid motor mounts
Explorer PCM - Code SLL3

Last edited: