96 Cobra for $15.9K?

• Sponsors (?)

I was unaware the motors in '96 were hand built?

U.M.

Yup, they were. They also share that distinction with some pretty exclusive company----AMG Mercedes Benzes, Corvette Z06s, Ferraris, Aston Martins, Ford GTs. It's also has a really nice Teksid engine block.

Yeah, I'd like the car, but the stealership threatened to RAISE the price if the car is still on their lot in 30 days. I told them, good luck with that.

Yeah, I'd like the car, but the stealership threatened to RAISE the price if the car is still on their lot in 30 days. I told them, good luck with that.
They probably said that because they sensed that you are already in love with the car and almost sold on buying it. IMHO your head is in the wrong place on this deal. You need to be cold, calculating, and logical if you want to buy this car for a reasonable price. Start off with the lowball offer, see what happens and negotiate from there. All that talk about "teksid block" and "hand built engines" is just static, ignore it and focus on making the best deal you can. I think you have your work cut out for you though because I think you are too in love with this car. Speaking from personal experience, buying a car you are in love with can be painful... :(

What I would do is go back there, make the initial opening lowball offer. Let them laugh or whatever for a while make some small talk and then walk. Maybe mention you are going to look at some other Cobras you found nearby through internet searches... I guaran-F'N-tee that in a few days they will call you and say something like their GM is back from vacation and suprise surprise he is actually willing to consider your lowball offer. OR they will at least call you back with a counter offer.

Since we are going into spring the odds are stacked a little in the dealer's favor because the chumps get spring fever this time of year. However, since it is not a vert and since gas is really high right now this may not be that much of a factor in the negotiations.

Good luck!!! I hope you can make a deal. Do not forget to CarFax and check Oasis...

They probably said that because they sensed that you are already in love with the car and almost sold on buying it. IMHO your head is in the wrong place on this deal. You need to be cold, calculating, and logical if you want to buy this car for a reasonable price. Start off with the lowball offer, see what happens and negotiate from there. All that talk about "teksid block" and "hand built engines" is just static, ignore it and focus on making the best deal you can. I think you have your work cut out for you though because I think you are too in love with this car. Speaking from personal experience, buying a car you are in love with can be painful... :(

What I would do is go back there, make the initial opening lowball offer. Let them laugh or whatever for a while make some small talk and then walk. Maybe mention you are going to look at some other Cobras you found nearby through internet searches... I guaran-F'N-tee that in a few days they will call you and say something like their GM is back from vacation and suprise surprise he is actually willing to consider your lowball offer. OR they will at least call you back with a counter offer.

Since we are going into spring the odds are stacked a little in the dealer's favor because the chumps get spring fever this time of year. However, since it is not a vert and since gas is really high right now this may not be that much of a factor in the negotiations.

Good luck!!! I hope you can make a deal. Do not forget to CarFax and check Oasis...

Actually, they said nothing about the Teksid block or the handbuilt engine, I knew that already. I had my 5.0L when these 96's with the cammer engines came out and I've wanted one since then.

It doesn't really matter though, because I'm not going to pay what they want for it.

When I was looking for my 5.0L, it took me 8 months of looking at countless Mustangs before I found one that I wanted that was also at the right price. I think that's pretty patient, most people wouldn't be able to hold out that long.

I've been through this before, I'm not going to just impulsively buy this car.

I was unaware the motors in '96 were hand built?

U.M.

Mainstream product development's Team Mustang took the engineering lead of the SVT Cobra to help fit it with an all-new, hand-built 4.6L 32-valve V8 modular motor, producing 305 horsepower. A run of 1,999 Cobra coupes are built with special color-changing optional paint called "Mystic." A concept sketch of the proposed SVT Contour sports sedan is revealed at the Chicago Auto Show.

http://media.ford.com/newsroom/feature_display.cfm?release=20299

Just thought I'd put my 2 cents in on this little debate.

First, 16K is too much money for the 96, UNLESS you're going to keep it forever and it's what you REALLY, REALLY want. If you ever intend on selling it, you're gonna lose your a$$. Yes, I know if I were to sell my 03 cobra, I'd take a loss too, but the 96 is at least 5K over book to start with not to mention any mods you'll do to it.
Second, the bank about 2 miles from me just sold an 03 cobra, black, all the usual cobra options as well as exhaust and a set of aftermarket wheels (ugly as hell, but aftermarket) with 77k miles for $17,450. I thought this was every dime the car was worth, but that's still less than $1k more than the 96 you're looking at.
I even made an offer on it, and it was a low ball $11,500 offer. The banker looked at me a little funny, but obviously it wasn't too low, cause it was the best offer he had so far. I was outbid about a week later, but if I hadn't bid on it, some loser would have won it for $7500 or so. That's just my luck.
Like I said, this is just my 2 cents, which along with a dollar and a quarter you can sometimes buy a Pepsi...

Too much

Pass on the 96 unless they come down to about $11-$12K. You said yourself you would be putting a lot of miles on it so spending a lot for the low miles wouldn't be worth it.

Keep looking, plenty of good deals out there. Just be patient, you will find a better deal.

I'm not going to pay $16K for it. I don't even think I want it anymore, it just caught my eye because it had such low miles and it was local.

I found a really clean looking black 91 LX 5.0L hatch with 36K miles with a few bolt ons down in AZ asking $7500 and I might go down there and scoop it up, have to investigate a little more, check out a few more cars.

I've been thinking about it and I'm leaning against getting a 4.6L. I'm already familiar with the fox body 5.0Ls and everything is so much cheaper.

I may be too late, but check the classifieds at SVTP, you probably won't find one with that few of miles, but there have been several with around 50-70k for $10,000 or so. I got mine off ebay with 75k miles for only $7725, so keep looking and you will score a good one.

4 years and 10,000 supercharges miles....no problems here....the 4V is bulletproof too.....the only thing that kills pistons and blocks is poor and inexperienced tuning. The more boost you have, the more fuel, higer octane you need, or go with a nice meth kit. The methonal will cool the inlet tempuratures 60-100+ degress.