97 cobra wont start???

97cobra281

Founding Member
Aug 3, 2001
Puyallup, Wa
Ok, I've searched my problem out thru the forums. But still need help. The car was fine 10 days ago. and now it just turns over and wont start. this has happened one other time and cured itself within minutes and started. but this time it seems that it doesnt want to clear itself. 66k miles on the car. looks like it still has original Motorcraft battery. blenty of cranking juice(as it turns the motor over fine. I'm thinking fuel might be my problem. it tries to light off but wont. I cant check the FP at this time but that is my next step. Fuel pump sounds good when i turn the key on. wierd thing is that the starter sounds different and the motor almost sounds like it has no compression when cranking over. Do these motors just sound that way when they dont start?? Is is possible that is floods itself. If so, how can that be? Also in the past year or so, every 30 starts or so it starts and has a rough idle, it runs rough for about 2-3 mins and clears up. I'm confused!

I've tried: unplugged the battery for 30mins, tried starting the car with the throttle on the floor(to allow air it and no fuel, which it almost started). I'll get the FP gauge and check that next. I'm suspect to the FPR. Is it possible that a bad battery can turn the engine over but some how not allow the car to start?

It was running fine last time it was out! HELP ME. :shrug:
Thanks, Jay

• Sponsors (?)

Good luck. Post the outcome. I replaced the fuel filter on my car when I got it last year and I still have the same problem. Most likely our issues are unrelated if you are having fuel trouble.

hey i had the exact same problem man an i tell ya it had me stumped to good battery, spark plugs fireing an everything seemed good but then i checked the fule pressire an it was 0psi i had to change the fule pump wich is realy simple withg our cars i have a 98 cobra. once i pluged it back ib filled some gas it fired right up so im gona say thats your problem more then likely causs it sounds just like mine. good luck man. when you get the pump it should only take about 2hrs to install with jack stand an a cupple wrenches no big deal. good luck

So heres the story. i read up on some of my whoa's with the car. the biggest thing pushed is the basics, air/fuel/spark. dah! so i felt that with all things assumed, air would be constant and also assumed spark was still being delivered and no spark related parts had just gone out. so i went to fuel related troubles. too much is bad and so is not enough. I had a feeling that somehow i was getting too much. i know your thinking "this jay character is out of his freaking fuel injected MIND". i know i know, a flooded fuel injected car, right.

the kicker, i read that to "clear a flooded state" you depress the throttle to the floor and crank the motor. the depressed throttle also turns all the injectors OFF.

So this time i waited an entire day, then the very first try starting the car i did so with the petal on the floor. it started after a few seconds of cranking, spit sputter then cleared out. i drove it around, no prob's. stopped by autozone to have the codes pulled, no codes.

I'm suspect its a fluke in the shutdown or start up that allowed a flooded state.

it runs, and thats what counts, jay.