98 Mach 460, need help ASAP!

98E9GT

Dec 16, 2007
Well, I sold my aftermarket HU today for some quick cash and put back in the factory cassette tape player back in. Now when I put in my JVC HU I had no problems, easy as pie! But now it doest seem like the amps are working, I have the Mach on the highest possible volume, and Its barely loud enough to hear. I have a left over pin, little bitty connector, with a black wire. And the connector has 2 opening in it. So does anyone have any idea what is up with it?

• Sponsors (?)

that sounds like a ground wire, that just slips onto a metal tab on the back of the factory radio.

As far as your quiet sound, i would venture to say you have a loose connector, or possibly not in the correct position. I had the factory cd player in mine as well and everything just fell back into it's correct position. When i did the same moves.

ok anyone have an answer for this. So i cleaned up my connectors on the back of the radio last night. And i decided to unplug the amp one while the radio is on, it got UBER quiet, but when i plug it back it, its still so quiet that when its on full blast You can barely hear it on the road.

OK so i wasn't going to sayanything before because i didn't think it was related...but

in my 97 cobra after i put the after market radio in, I would loose all sound (i think it was really quiet) and one day i was looking at the amps in the trunk and when i slammed the trunk in frustration they kicked on, I just assumed it was the wireharness i used for the aftermarket radio. I never heard it after i returned it to factory because i sold the car, But if you try it, it might just be a loose wire somewhere in the rear.

They are going "quiet" because the radio pushes some signal through the speakers (by way of the amp) i think just the tweets, so what your hearing is the radio "powering the speakers" and it is quiet becaus ethe factory 460 speakers run a higher impedeance.

So when you unplugged the amp it cut all signal power going to the speakers and shut off, and it reset what ever was causing the problem, going loud again. But it keeps failing.

ok still nothing, I beat those amps like they owed me money, and slammed the trunk a few times. I am begging to think I have a bad HU, and have become screwed out of music, atleast I have my exhaust. Anything else I could possibly try?

does your head unit have built in high and low pass crossovers in it?
It's factory...wouldn't matter unless it was all after market.

Sounds like the amps are not getting the signal to switch on. I'm betting a wire is crossed somewhere. Are you sure they are connected correctly and tight? Best to go back through the connections again just to make sure.

the easiest way to know if you head unit is bad is to put another aftermarket radio in it. I know you sold it to make a few bucks, but you very well could just have a bad factory unit, it probably sat around you may have shorted it out when uninstalling/installing it.

This is what you do...

Where do you live? I would say take it to a Circuit City ( i am installer there) and say "You think your radio is blown, and you want a new one. but Ask if they can test it/plugg a radio in to make sure it is the radio and not the amps. Tell them you are low on cash and you need to make sure before you buy it.."and ask them if they can test it for you? the deck is easy enough to pull out. So they could plugg one in fast enough.

If the new test radio works you know it is your head Unit is bad, If it doesn't work you know it is someplace between the radio and the amps.

Most installers i know will do this for you. I did it for plenty of people. just be honest with them. They will know if your lying and trying to pull a fast one on them. But it is quick and easy. And WHATEVER YOU DO...DON"T DO IT ON A SATURDAY OR JUST BEFORE CLOSING. go at like 2-4pm

The amps are getting power because you are hearing some sound (am i correct),

Like all roads leading to rome, all speakers lead to the amps in this system. The radio will push some power to the speakers through the amps, if they were "not powering on" you would have no sound at all. One amp powers tweeters one amp powers bass drivers. Thats how my 97 cobra was wired.

Im almost dead certain its a bad Head unit, because my old aftermarket one worked just fine. Now that i remember it when i bought the car, this original stereo was doing this to begin with. Oh well, does anyone have a stereo they are not using, im strapped for cash.