99 cobra H-pipe, or x-pipe?

icemanp7

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2002
austin
i currently have the flowmaster american thunder catback on my cobra, from the research i have done it seems like an H-pipe would sound better with my setup, but im not sure, what do you think? also, what's the best H-pipe/X-pipe product for performance gains for 99 cobra's? anything helps , thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I had an o/r H....actually, it was the stock piece with the cat's cut out.
I now have an X pipe. All 2.5 inch, 2 chamber flowmasters, and everything was custom made at an exhaust shop the performance shop takes their cars too. Sounds great, no tingy sound, just mean....I had to look to see if the car had an X or an H on it as it sounded very similar. The X just made if louder believe it or not. Very happy with it.

I do think it depends on the pipe you select....where the cross over is makes a difference I believe. Another buddy had a custom o/r H made. He told me the shop put two straight pipes on then drove the car and where the pipes were heated up the most, that is where they put the cross over. :shrug: I'll take his word on it...but it did sound good. Louder than most other car's I have heard with the same set up as him.

Since you already have a flowmaster catback, I'd go with the MAC Prochamber offroad H pipe. I get compliments all day long with my PC and Flowmasters. I'd vote for the PC. Supposedly X pipes don't sound good with chambered mufflers, but I hear the Dr Gas X pipe with flows sound good as well. Good luck with your decision. Should sound mean either way.

I agree....it depends what X pipe you get as to if it will sound good with Flowmasters. Actually, I had asked for an o/r H pipe to be made along with the Flowmaster catback (put in solid axle so had to replace it all). When I got it back it sounded louder and meaner and figured it was because I went from a 2 1/4 to a 2 1/2. I looked under the car about 3 weeks later (it was in storage at the time) and noticed it had an X on there. It was an honest mistake and they would have corrected it, but I really liked the way the X sounds with my Flows.

I have more people tell me how mean it sounds now than I ever did with the o/r H.

Any o/r H setup will sound great....X pipe is taking a chance depending on which one you go with I guess.