99 Lightning Engine / 99 Cobra ???

CobraSusie

Aug 17, 2004
NW Indiana
A good friend of mine recently lost his Lightning in an accident,
but we have been getting the crazy idea to drop his engine and blower in my 1999 Cobra Convertible :rolleyes: :D

I have seen one at a car show, and know it is possible, as the 2000 R
has a 5.4 liter, but does anyone know (WHAT ALL THIS WOULD ENTALE?)

I am guessing that we will need the Lightning computer and harness, and I am already looking into subframe connectors etc.

But what are the MAJOR things that need to be considered?
Can my tranny be used? If not...what one should I go with?

Any help or suggestions would be great, as I need to know what I am looking at financially as well :D I think this would be one hell of a winter project, and that only means a CUSTOM paint job too!

Please post any suggestions, words of advice, want to try and decide this week :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

i think that the sturt towers are too close and must be relocated, since you have access to a cobra R look and see what the differences are int he engine bay between the cobra and the R

We have done a couple of those swaps. One of our shop cars has our stage 3 setup in it. Car is an absolute blast to drive. The motor will sit up a little bit. But we are redesigning the K-member to help drop the motor down a little bit. You car reuse your stock wiring harness and comuter..but you will have to do some we wiring. We reuse all of the stock computers and harness. On the tranny part. It really comes down to how hard you are really going to push it. We right now......just because we are trying to see how much abuse the T45 will take...have it in our shop car. But I would suggest using an TKO600 or T56 setup if you stay with an Manual Tranny. Let me know if there is anything that we can help....good luck if you decide to do it. It will be a blast to drive. Let us know if you have any tech questions....

Here's one in a 96 GT so it will fit with some modifications...oh yeah and a big hole in your hood :D

s30100413.jpg