a/c delete ??

• Sponsors (?)

StangCrazy302Gt said:
ok.. now how do i go about taking off the a/c.. do i drain the freon???

You will need to have your A/C bled. The best bet is to take it to a shop to have this done. It is both more environmentally safe and legal. After that, you may consider getting a non-A/C heater plenum which will provide a cleaner look than having the old A/C condensor connectors poking out from your firewall. I just did this conversion on my '89 LX and it was some work, but the results were nice. If you choose to change your plenum, get a new, high quality heater core, such as straight from Ford (but get it for an A/C car because the non-A/C core doesn't fit the non-A/C plenum). They tend to go out easily and are a pain to get to and since you are in there, it's a matter of convenience. Also, clean and replace the clay sealent that seals the heater core in the plenum.

IMHO, if you're removing the A/C, remove the entire thing. Which means pull the dash, and remove the evaporator core. If you're doing it to shave weight like most, the evaporator is at least another 5 pounds. Just buy that FMS kit, have it evacuated by a professional, then pull back your radiator, and cut the condenser out, cut the lines off the compressor (or use a spring lock tool if you plan to re-use the lines,) remove the drier and the wiring harness attached to it, put the FMS kit in.. then remove the dash, remove the evaporator core, plug the holes in the firewall with some putty or plugs, and as stated above, replace the heater core while you're in there.

pulled my a/c on my 88 GT two yrs ago Took all the lines and collector out.unpluged the compressor,and left that in instead of screwing around with kits and all that crap.
All the compressor is now is another pulley.
Now get 31-32 MPG on the highway and 20-21 mpg around town.
Dash controls work just fine.
Put line caps on the firewall and on the threads of the compressor.

StangCrazy302Gt said:
ok u r goin the full 10 yards on this 1.... but i have hurd horror stories about the heater core and taking the dash off... how much of a pain in the butt is it??? cauz i do need a new heater core it is kinda gettn weaker

IMHO, if you have the mechanical ability to install the a/c delete kit (that sounds wrong for some reason,) then you also should be able to remove the dash.

Removing the dash isn't that hard, it's just that after a while you become frustrated, irritated, feel like you're hurried, etc.. this is when you begin to break things, lose things, etc.

If you set aside an entire day, get prepared (have a notebook to document where everything came from, etc) and label everything properly, you could easily do the dash. There are plenty of good write-ups around here about how to remove it. If not, I, or somebody with the service manual on cd can take screen captures of the bolt locations for you.