A/C Problem

TheSalad

Aug 3, 2003
Utah
Okay, so I recently bought my old mustang back. It is a 96 GT. One of the things that needs to be fixed is the A/C. On a line that goes from the compressor to the condenser, there is a spot that has been rubbing on a sharp edge of another component. The line is called the discharge line.

Now, the A/C doesn't blow cold at all. I had my wife start up the car for a minute and turn on the A/C. I thought that the compressor should spin or something. It didn't. Is that normal? I didn't have the car on for too long because I didn't have my air filter on at the time, but I thought the compressor should have spun up.

Because of the leak, I am assuming that the system has already be depressurized. Should I go ahead and replace that line and then take it in to be leak checked and refilled with refrigerant?

Any help would be appreciated.

Test: Want to be sure I can post images.

• Sponsors (?)

Okay, so I recently bought my old mustang back. It is a 96 GT. One of the things that needs to be fixed is the A/C. On a line that goes from the compressor to the condenser, there is a spot that has been rubbing on a sharp edge of another component. The line is called the discharge line.

Now, the A/C doesn't blow cold at all. I had my wife start up the car for a minute and turn on the A/C. I thought that the compressor should spin or something. It didn't. Is that normal? I didn't have the car on for too long because I didn't have my air filter on at the time, but I thought the compressor should have spun up.

Because of the leak, I am assuming that the system has already be depressurized. Should I go ahead and replace that line and then take it in to be leak checked and refilled with refrigerant?

Any help would be appreciated.

I would try the cheap fix first. Go to the parts store and pick up a R134a recharge kit. I just did my daughters car and it was easy. The hardest part you would have is if the pressure so low, even with the can attached, the compressor didn't start, you just need to jumper the pressure switch to start it and the kit even tells you how to do that.

If the leak's not bad, you'll get a whole season out of it.