A/C question / problem

snidehockey

Jun 18, 2007
Orlando, Fl
My girlfriend has an 03 Eclipse Spyder GTS that we've been using to car pool lately but the A/c is really weird. The people that are on eclipse forums only talk about NOS and body kits and 2 fast 2 furious.

anyway the a/c has never been freezing but it got the job done...

lately though unless it's below about 75 degrees outside it BARELY blows any cold air...

when it is below 75 and i put the air on and it is chilly, lots of odorless thin "smoke"

I added freon and the compressor wouldnt stay on for more than a second...so I let some out and the compressor does at leat go on and off as it should now.

• Sponsors (?)

Most of the imports have very little room for error in charge quantity. A typical amerinca AC might use 3 12 oz cans of R134, while a Honda needs something like 20oz (depending on model, this is an Accord V6). An over-charge can damage the compressor, and also will make it run poorly as it is very hard to move liquid R134a through the compressor.

Best bet is to have it discharged, evacuated, and charged using a weight scale so that the charge is dead on. If you put in a whole 12oz can, chances are it was then grossly overcharged, where at the beginning it was probably under-charged due to a small leak somewhere...

probably will cost about a hundred bucks to get that done, plus the cost of the freon...