A transfer.....

NoKitten

Dec 14, 2002
Room 117
Well, as you all know, I'm the resident Cougar Kid. And now, I am giving up my classic cougar to StangDreamin'. He took care of my new kitty, Silvie (a 99 V6 cougar with a 5speed) and Cleo will basically be his payment. The 99's repairs (clutch job) set them back 1500, so I figure my car would be worth about that. Probably a little more, but it'd be a small difference. I trust Stangdreamin to take care of her. But I'm not so sure about that little fairy of his called Jess. She is still new to driving, and I'm scrd.....

Thanks again man.

btw: if anybody sees a smoking deal on a 69 cougar in about 6 months, let me know. j/k it'll probably be longer than that.

• Sponsors (?)

we may be fighting over the cougars. i've about decided i'm going to sell the 69 GT once it's finished so i can put a down payment on a house and i'll use some of the money to buy another cougar since they are still relatively cheap.

WHOA, NOW!

Hang on there, Bubba - I'm not so sure about this! I'm not so worried about the bill on the '99; and I'd be really worried about Jessie driving the '73 - especially with the warmed over Cleveland it carries these days! And, sure as God made little green apples, that will be the plan pushed at me by the remaining females in the house if I take the Big Cat over. It'll be either Cleo or my new F150 4x4 for Jessie's DD; and neither option appeals/will be acceptable to me. :eek: :nono:

Like I said Saturday night; I'm not ready to make any decisions about the dispostion of either Cougar right now. At a minimum; I'm doing nothing until after Rodeo - better yet would be for you and me and everybody else to sit down and work this out when your present duty is up in July. Especially since we (as of 21 JAN, 2150 hrs local) still haven't gotten word on what's up with the rear axle on Trish's truck!

On that, let me pick your brain.... I've never heard of only one side of an axle "locking up" and not moving - usually the whole stinkin' thing (both sides) freezes up, in my experience. Talking to Trish's friend SFC Farley last night; he's scratching his head about that as well! He said the axle flange is where it's supposed to be in relation to the housing flange, so it doesn't appear to be a busted c-clip. Never heard of a GM 12-bolt axle blowing only one spider, so what could cause that??? :shrug:

She mentioned something about changing the tire. I'm not sure on the size of the spare, but if it was too different it might have caused damage. but I have no idea what could have caused that except bad metal.

A different sized spare would only damage it if it was engaged in 4X4 as the small tire would be favoured the one axle and fight with the other axle through the transfer case which doesn't differentiate. I've seen boiling gear oil shooting out the axle seals because of this.

krash kendall said:
A different sized spare would only damage it if it was engaged in 4X4 as the small tire would be favoured the one axle and fight with the other axle through the transfer case which doesn't differentiate. I've seen boiling gear oil shooting out the axle seals because of this.
Cooooooooooool! :eek:as long as it's somebody else's!

It belonged to a friend who I was renting to, so the full size Jimmy wound up taking up most of my driveway in pieces for about two months.

He'd gotten a flat when we were fourwheeling and put the spare 29" on the rear (31" on the other three) without dissengaging the front axle untill we gat back to pavement. By then the autohubs were so binded up they wouldn't release and he was oblivious to the problem. Another friend and I were following in my Renegade watching as the rear wheel periodically locked up and sent him swerving all over the road. We could smell the oil burning from behind him and hear horrible clunking and grinding. We finally got him to pull over and took the locking hubs off the front when the oil came out in a steady three foot stream. It had already been doing the same from the rear axle pinion.

Okay, as for the tire size: I'm gonna guees it's about an inch difference (31" vs the 30" originals). But, the issue is moot in that the problem reared its ugly head as soon as they tried to drive off immediately after changing the tire!

This whole idea of it locking up on only one side is a head-scratcher. My immediate thought was that a chunk of tread got jammed up in the brake caliper. Turns out SFC Farley thought the same thing; looked for that, no luck. Seems the axle has about 1/2" of rotation, "measured" (guesstimated) by brake rotor rotation; then it locks up tight. Maybe total outer bearing failure? Except that would seem to be more of a solid lock-up. :shrug:
I'd expect that an inner bearing failure would be throwing chunks of itself into the spiders and locking up the whole axle; which isn't the case, since the other side spins just fine, even turns under power. :shrug: :shrug:

Cheapie: The thought of grabbing the big Cougar has crossed my mind; but I'm not sure that would sit so well with Mrs StDr. There'd be almost as much :chair: as if I were to bring home a project '67. The only thing that would mitigate that attitude would be that Jessica could drive it - which really does bother me a lot!