A9L, A9P tuning question.

Dec 30, 2005
Hello.
Does anyone know if the A9L or A9P can be tuned so the injector sequence and firing order will be the same as the firing order used on the older 302's?
Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I would think that if worst came to worst you could repin the injectors on the computer wire connector so that the sequence was compatible with the older 302 firing order. But I do not know if you can rearrange the injector order with a chip. I would imagine that you could.

Simply moving the injector plugs will not work well in most cases.
Moving the plugs requires swapping one injector from each bank to the other bank.
This is bad because the O2's trim fuel settings based on bank feedback.

It is rumored that changing the firing order in the ecu will correct this problem. I can't personally confirm this though.

Doubt that helped, but it was free...
jason

Wouldn't best solution be to just put a diff cam in to match firing order of computer? Not sure if it would be just that easy I'm asking as much as suggesting :D

Swapping the cam is a KNOWN fix.
It will get things right, and let the car run at its best.

Changing the firing order in the ecu is still a little experimental, as far as I am concerned.
In theory, it should work...
And it has been reported to work on other forums...

I'm still hesistant...
jason

This option may not be for you, but here is what I did on my '65 EFI conversion. I first added EFI with the stock cam, old firing order. Made NO changes to the firing order. It ran fine. The wrong injector firing order at idle was not noticeable. And once you gave it some gas the injectors fire so fast anyway it is not going to make a huge difference.

Since I have built a new engine (5.0) and dropped it in, idle is slightly worse now, but that is due the agressive cam I have...

You can always give it a try, then do a cam swap if you must. I would NOT suggest screwing with the ecm unless it is a last resort. Seems like that would open a can of worms...

And once you gave it some gas the injectors fire so fast anyway it is not going to make a huge difference.
I have personally seen major improvements in drivability just by changing the TIMING of when the injector fires.
Having the injector fire on the wrong cylinder will make a drivability difference.
Injector firing order and timing becomes even more important when a large cam is being used.
The problems you describe can be atleast partially fixed with injector order & timing.

The problem with mismatch between the ecu firing order and cam/dist. firing order isn't so much WHEN the injectors fire, but rather how the ecu trims fuel.

There is a left and right O2 sensor. Each sensor measures only one bank. If an injector from the right bank is being measured by the left bank 2 scenarios can play out.

1. If the Adaptive is attempting to apply the same correction to each bank, then things could very well appear to be 'just fine'

2. If the Adaptive is attempting to apply different corrections to each bank, then things will get fubar real quick.

Keep in mind that things could appear to be 'just fine' for several months to several years, then appear to go fubar out of the blue. The Adaptive Strategy is ALWAYS learning and changing the correction factors.

Here is a link that explains it in a little more detail, as I don't do a good job of explaining this...
http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=92

My opinion of getting into the ecu...
It would either work right away, or it wouldn't work right away.
The proposed calibration change is VERY simple to make, and could be done in a matter of minutes...

Just my opinion,
jason